Landscaping with native plants

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
I will be doing (hopefully) some sprucing up of my tiny .11 acres of land (which backs up to 100's of acres of undeveloped woods) this spring/summer/fall. I would prefer to plant species that are native to the area. But I really don't now where to start or where to obtain the plants and trees. Anyone point me in the right direction.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Call the Pinelands Commission at 609-894-7300.
Ask them about a list of suppliers for native landscape species.
I have been doing Pinelands applications for clients since 1982 and the Commisssion use to maintain a list because their regs require a certain percentage of native landscape species on commercial site plans.
Most people have a difficult time tracking these suppliers.
The Commission use to have a recommendation list too for developing a decent landscape scheme using native species.
Let me know how you make out. Worst case, I can get you a copy of my old list.
Scott

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
I will be doing (hopefully) some sprucing up of my tiny .11 acres of land (which backs up to 100's of acres of undeveloped woods) this spring/summer/fall. I would prefer to plant species that are native to the area. But I really don't now where to start or where to obtain the plants and trees. Anyone point me in the right direction.

Med, give me a call! I can email a list that we have been working on, and recommend some suppliers.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
No, I am a licensed professional planner and licensed land surveyor.
Our firm performs land use planning, engineering and surveying for both private and municipal clients.
I have been navigating the Comprehensive Management Plan since 1982.
Scott

Redneck, thanks for the info above....
I work with engineers and surveyers everday in the office and sometimes in the field. I go out for 1st day field observations when they survey a job I will be working on. Mostly dam modification or replacement projects. I looked into getting my PLS but with the new laws I just can not find the how to. Avaliblity of schooling is extremely limited and just does not work with a working schedule. Nothing on-line or local either

Russell, PM sent. thanks

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I looked into getting my PLS but with the new laws I just can not find the how to. Avaliblity of schooling is extremely limited and just does not work with a working schedule. Nothing on-line or local either

The local college that offers most of the curriculum for the bachelors in land surveying is Gloucester County College.
They offer it at night as well.
Unfortunately, to complete your bachelors, you must take a few classes at NJIT in Newark.
Interest in the surveying program waxes and wanes over time.
They never seem to have enough enrollment to keep all of the programs running full bore so that you can complete your degree in South Jersey. Burlington County college teamed up with NJIT a few years ago and created a curriculum but it is my understanding that the program tanked out.
Another problem is that after 1990 when the degree requirement kicked in, a lot of students figured they might as well go for a degree in civil engineering if they were going to spend the time for a bachelors. Engineering is a little more lucrative.
Each year there is just a trickle of degreed surveyors coming in to the field and us old schoolers just shake our heads.
The new breed of surveyor is so techno-saavy that they really don't know how to perform elementary land surveying and can't rationally think their way through and calculate basic layout work.
Scott

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Tuesday, March 25, 2008: Retaining a Sense of Place: Listening to the Native Sensibilities of the Pine Barrens. 7:30 p.m. Location: Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Bishop Farmstead, 17 Pemberton Road, Southampton Township. Delaware Valley College landscape architecture students will unveil concept presentations for landscape typologies of the Pine Barrens, with recommendations for landscape management and native plantings. FREE. Call (609) 859-8860 for information or directions.

thought maybe this would help if you were able to attend it

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Tuesday, March 25, 2008: Retaining a Sense of Place: Listening to the Native Sensibilities of the Pine Barrens. 7:30 p.m. Location: Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Bishop Farmstead, 17 Pemberton Road, Southampton Township. Delaware Valley College landscape architecture students will unveil concept presentations for landscape typologies of the Pine Barrens, with recommendations for landscape management and native plantings. FREE. Call (609) 859-8860 for information or directions.

thought maybe this would help if you were able to attend it

Thanks... I do have some other things scheduled for that evening. But might be able to rearrange them

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
The local college that offers most of the curriculum for the bachelors in land surveying is Gloucester County College.
They offer it at night as well.
Unfortunately, to complete your bachelors, you must take a few classes at NJIT in Newark.
Interest in the surveying program waxes and wanes over time.
They never seem to have enough enrollment to keep all of the programs running full bore so that you can complete your degree in South Jersey. Burlington County college teamed up with NJIT a few years ago and created a curriculum but it is my understanding that the program tanked out.
Another problem is that after 1990 when the degree requirement kicked in, a lot of students figured they might as well go for a degree in civil engineering if they were going to spend the time for a bachelors. Engineering is a little more lucrative.
Each year there is just a trickle of degreed surveyors coming in to the field and us old schoolers just shake our heads.
The new breed of surveyor is so techno-saavy that they really don't know how to perform elementary land surveying and can't rationally think their way through and calculate basic layout work.
Scott

I might look into at least some of the course work, if not the program. at 43 it's never to late to learn something. Not very comfortable at work right now, the bosses are getting old and I think they dream of a big for sale sign out front soon... I do have 12+ years of office experience in surveying and civil design.