Large turkey flock along Garden State Parkway

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
Technically not the pine barrens but close to Allaire Park there was a large flock of turkeys around mile marker 95 around noon today. I think I read hunting season is now in progress so maybe they figured it was safe there. Anyway our turkey population seems to be doing ok. The last time I saw a large flock of turkeys along the parkway was about 8 years ago about mile marker 80.5. Those migrated over to the South Toms River Elementary school.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There are a LOT in my part of Atlantic County. They really like to destroy my woods and yard, but they're so amusing to watch that I don't mind.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I think I read hunting season is now in progress so maybe they figured it was safe there. Anyway our turkey population seems to be doing ok.

Turkey numbers in NJ have been on the incline in the past few years now so you're right in thinking that. The Fall hunting season is only a week long and doesnt start til Oct 25 thru Halloween. The Spring hunting season is much longer and sees more hunters. I've been seeing quite a few around Double Trouble and Greenwood Forest.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I came home from a weekend trip Sunday to find 6 in my yard. Typically, they are in the woods behind me, but this time ventured within my fenced yard. My Lab retrievers were going nuts at the sight of them!

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
You will see Turkeys and Pheasant disoriented in those areas this time of year because they stock them for the hunters. I spent a lot of time in that part of Monmouth County woods and they're are not a lot of wild Turkey left and almost no Pheasant. I feel bad when I see the occasional pheasant stuck in the grassy island between the opposing lanes on 195 this time of year.