laws on hunting in green acres parks ?

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
does anyone know these laws ? i tryed google and couldnt find what i was looking for , there a smaller section of green acres park near my house that i enjoy hiking and geocaching , i have my own cache hidden back there and myself as well as others have came upon one unhappy hunter that seems to be the only one who hunts it and acts as if its his own property and tells people to get out of there , now by law i know i am allowed back there but is he ???

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Nick, I'm a very hunter freindly person but not a very dickhead freindly person. I say takle a few leaks and dumps around there if he hascome off as that much ofa prick.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
yea true , i have nothing against hunters half my family andfriends hunt , but i hate jerk offs , and not to mention where his tree stand was set up was with in 500 feet of houses and i know for a fact you can not fire a weapon that close

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The safety zone is 450 feet. If you have written permission you can hunt closer to a building. For years two of my friends hunted from a tree on my front lawn.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
well this stand was about no more then maybe 300-400 feet from the nearest house , but is it legal to even hunt green acres ?

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
ok cool ill have to look into that , i didnt know it was up to each indivdual twp , because the woods on my street are green acres now and i cant see them allowing hunting there considerd they paved hiking and bike trails all thru there

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Green Acres is not a designation of a specific type of property. It is merely a funding program that provides local governments money to acquire land. They then post the Green Acres signs that you may be seeing that acknowledge the funding source. That being the case, there are no one set of rules that apply to every tract acquired under that program. Wildlife Management Areas, which allow hunting, have been acquired partly with Green Acres funds as well as County Parks, which do not allow hunting for the most part.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
well this stand was about no more then maybe 300-400 feet from the nearest house , but is it legal to even hunt green acres ?

Depends, most of the WMA's were purchased with at least some GA monies. Might check out the NJ Fish & Wildlife site or give a CO a call. The stand sounds like it is illegal; he would need to have in his possesion written permission to hunt near that home. See page 25 of the current F&W Digest at the link. That guy should be shown the path to coexistence.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/njregs.htm

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
thanks , i know the laws for the distance to house bu ti cant find anything for green acres , i searched that site before and everything is wma wich is differant , no where can i find laws on green acres parks

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I do acquisition work for municipalities with the assistance of the Green Acres program and the program does not prohibit hunting. Praise the Lord.
Obviously the guy you encountered doesn't own the woods and if he asked you nicely to avoid his spot I would abide. If he insists on being obstinate, have a local Conservation Officer pay him a visit and remind him of the public part of public property.
Don't interfere with a lawful hunt or you could be fined.
Here is a link to the GA rules:
http://www.nj.gov/dep/greenacres/regs.pdf
On page 10 of the rules you will see that hunting is considered and included under their definitions of "recreation and conservation purposes" . Those purposes are the root of the funding program.
Scott