LBI 1962 Storm Photos

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We rarely learn from our past. One day..... maybe soon .......

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Thank you...
So much for sharing. These are priceless reminders.
I like the look of the color photos. Love the buried truck in B&W.

g.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks, Dog. Those photographs put into perspective how quickly storms can change the appearance of the barrier islands and how any structure out there isn't permanent, by any means. Quite eerie!

- I have heard stories before about the storms, but this is the first time I have ever seen pictures of the aftermath.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hi Guys...
Couldn't help myself here as I shared the images with a work friend and we both puzzled over the ship. He digs Naval history and we went to work on the ship. It looked like #79 there, possibly a Fletcher or Gleaves Class destroyer, according to my friend, either came close to shore to help and grounded or went to the shallows on purpose.

(Naval guys and veterans, check me on that one, look it up on Wikipedia if you trust the information, see the problem is Wiki says Gleaves class but the lifespan and end of the ship differ in two different findings we found. One has it sold to scrap, the other has it sunk and discovered in 1992 underwater. Now... I do not know so much about these things so any Navy guys or buffs could look into it. I do not wish to be innacurate. Would it be wild if someone here served on her? )
Here goes the short (ha!)version of the findings. The name and number don't match but can that stuff change?
The story looks looks good though. Man this stuff is so confusing to me. Here is what we found.
Bult in 1939, launched in 1940,she served a number of years prior to being decommisioned.
The Monssen, recommision, reported for duty March 1952 with the Atlantic Fleet.
Home ported at Newport R/I
Added to the 2nd fleet as added strength to the destroyers sent to Far East to support U/N forces in Korea.
May 1954 she departed for deployment with the 7th fleet.
Via the Panama canal she arrived in Western Pacific in June. Excercises in Japanese & okinawan waters.
Patrolled of Korea / Taiwan straighs for 4 months.
Departed Japan in October and arrived home in Newport for Christmas (Yaay!)
Next 3 years she cruised in the Caribbean leaving early in 1956 with the 6th Fleet.
Taken from the "Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships" in September 1957 she was decommissioned.
(Per the Naval Vessel Register)
Transferred to Philadelphia Reserve Group in 1962, she was being towed down the coast when her towline parted in heavt seas and she went aground. (but the 1962 Ash Wd storm would be a bit before she ran aground.)
it seems in the rough seas of 10-15 feet and 50mph gusts she went in on March 6, at Beach Haven inlet.
She stayed 6 weeks before being pulled off and her journey finished.
The Monssen was deemd unnecessary to the defense of the United Staes and was sold for scrap on 10/21/1963
Union Minerals & Alloys Corp, New York N.Y.
She took (8) battle stars for WWII service.

Now please, again, I took this on for fun with a coworker.
Right from the jump I do not get why the ship numbered 79 bears the tale of the Monssen pretty well but the Wiki version has her as #436 (DD-436) and being sunk at Guadalcanal.
since the window of launching, decommisioning, early service, etc, confuses the heck out of me, I took the latter version that sounded more fitting to the story (more romantic if you will)
There is that and the fact that I am always a little suspicious of Waka-pedia and accuracy in the same sentence.
I am pretty sure we got some good info but please, if any lack of accuracies exist, give me some liberty. I just wanted to share to any that would be inerested.
This is actually as much verbatim as I could write and cut it short.

You well respected Naval Veterans and those serving I hope will get a little enjoyment in reading as much as the lay persons here. My info can be checked even right down to the company that bought her for scrap if you wish.
Maybe someone here is actually familiar with her or crossed paths with her in service.

Either way, do what you will with it. I'm sure "someone" here can correct/edit me with ease.

For my next trick maybe I will try to trace the story of the truck half buried in sand.
I should easily be able to spin a good yarn about her if I think on it.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Ahhhh Jerseyman,
I knew you would be there to pick up my bits and pieces. I wondered about a third number cause nothing seemed to fit, but again, I don't know from that kind of stuff. Still and all it seems even in your link some stuff is close. It confuses me so. But there were not actually two correct? I did exclude a lot of earlier stuff because Wiki contradicted the other findings a lot. Even so, I had the thing being built a few years sooner?? Well, one way or another the information started to jibe as she as she neared her fate and well, in the end... Destiny plopped her on our shores and she got a little bit more attention before her ultimate demise. I will share this article with my coworker and he can file it. I am sure he will appreciate it. I let him know I probably could get him a little better write up but even between us it was a crackshot on a couple hours of looking.
Boy oh boy, don't I spend my company's time well. I should probably be a little more mindful of that.
Not too shabby a little record of duty she had either. Not knowing as much, I'll bet there are a lot of not so well known vessels out their with crews that would swear by them and great service records man and machine both. From the guy who turns the first bolt of contruction to the men manning the ships and braving all, for God and Country.
I imagine the Navy is a pretty harsh sense of military in it's own right. The ocean and working with it in a peaceful situation is tricky enough, let alone in times of war. I guess at times even a heavily equipped and sturdy ship could feel like a sitting duck with a watery end possible in every mission. God bless them all.
Well hey, one of my original ideas... maybe someone here or a relative actually wore one of those patches or has memories revolving around the emblem.
Must have seemed freaky to the island folk still cleaning the carnage of the storm to one day be out there and see that coming....
I imagine the 1962 version of "WTF" passed a mind or two that day.

g.

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Thanks for sharing . I am friends with the Leonetti family , the Beach Haven Police Chief who passed away evacuating the Island during the storm . Very good people . Chief Leonetti 's Grand son i believe , still lives on the Island .
Joe

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps...20302&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=203020803&Ref=PH

I like this shot
bilde.jpeg

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Sorry if I'm repeating what some of the sources referenced said. I'm reading a book "Great Storms of the Jersey Shore". They have a very clear picture of the Monssen, her number, 798 clear in the picture they have. She was under tow from Bayonne to Newport when the tow cable snapped. The storm drove her onto the beach at Holgate. She sat grounded at Holgate for 6 weeks before they could float her off the beach. I didn't want to post the picture as it's a copy right book. Again, my apologies if this repeats anything already referenced.
Greg

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
That is an incredible piece of footage. A real find and a keeper. It has been around in someone's possession for 50 years. Wow.
Just the look of it, like some old newsreel stuff. They should have it playing in all the realtors offices down there.
People will still buy, build, and build more. That wouldn't stop anyone, just add to the "charm" of the place.
Thanks for sharing.

g.