LBI Shack

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
shack.jpg

Well the Old Hunting Shack from the 1920s is gone. Sandy was hungry:(..Not my photo it is from facebook

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
That thing was so cool, It was like an old friend for years greeting the visitors.
I can bet there are hundreds of pictures of it out there in the world taken by hundreds of passers by.
It lives on in so many memories.
You would think the thing was alive the way it hung in there. All things pass though.
Thanks for sharing the information.

g.

Reactions: joc

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
There were three such "duck houses" from the same era that existed on Story Island in the bay behind Beach Haven and Holgate. In the aerial footage of the storm damage at Tuckerton Beach they panned over to Long Beach Island. Story Island is supposed to be there in the middle of the bay. The water is still very high and all that can be seen is a small patch of salt marsh; the rest of the island is still submerged. There appear to be no more duck houses standing. I remember another such house on the salt marsh nearby that had fallen apart and floated away back in the late 70's. I am pretty certain that I have some pictures of the Story Island ones from recent years and will try to post them at some point.

Still can't get in to see what has become of our Tuckerton Beach house. Keeping my fingers crossed that the damage there is managable.

Rich

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
This was a very enjoyable documentary. It will be strange coming off the causeway and not having the shack there to greet us.

"the expiration of this long familiar, much discussed icon occurred under cover of darkness and was apparently witnessed by no one."..... seems fitting.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Nice vid on the shack. I always enjoyed looking at it. I gave my wife a photo of the shack from 1997 and she painted a picture and it sold in a matter of hours.
1.JPG

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
The Shack is gone but its ghost – and pilings – linger.
I’m sure some symbolic something-or-other will be built there to mark where one of the Island’s most revered landmarks once stood. But it won’t be the same – that is, until we who recall the original Shack die off and future generations look excitedly at the facsimile and are filled with that same ageless rush of energy we had gotten in knowing this meant the next stop is LBI.
The Shack is dead. Long live the Shack.
http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/column/columnpost/day-7-ghost-of-the-shack-says-it-all/919678

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
2nd most painted / photographed structure ,on LBI , other than Ol' Barney .I had always heard( from the locals") the shack was a clammers " shack .Anyone else ever hear that ? Not that it matters now , just curious .

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I was up there in the fall of 2008 and the road signs still pointed to the site but is was gone before that. I got to view the area where it was.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The 6th post in this thread, it is labeled.

Guess I'm just dense, I still don't get it. Sorry. I already looked at the 6th post in this thread and it talks about the LBI shack. Where is the connection to the "Old Man of the Mountain" which is in New Hampshire and collapsed nine years ago?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Oh, OK, thanks. I didn't read that whole link before.

Like the disappearance of another famous landmark, New Hampshire's late lamented Old Man of the Mountain, the expiration of this long familiar, much discussed icon occurred under cover of darkness and was apparently witnessed by no one.

Seems like an odd comparison to me. The Old Man of the Mountain gradually got worse over a period of years and finally collapsed. The LBI shack was wiped out by a huge storm.