Let's take a stand

rblanda

Explorer
Feb 6, 2003
Winslow, NJ
www.eblanda.com
*SHOUTING TO ALL OF YOU*

I have to say that I worked very hard in creating this site and to bring you all together.

Please spread the word. I'm a little depressed at the amount of traffic on this site and discussion board.

I've had a great time talking with all of you, but let's create a movement. Every word you say here can make a difference (we have more traffic here than ANY OTHER PINELANDS SITE). Let's promote the Pinelands without letting PPA or The Pinelands Commission take ALL THE CAKE.

I'm in. Are you?

Robert Blanda
Owner
Pine Barrens Enthusiasts
info@eblanda.com
www.eblanda.com

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Robert,

I check your site often for letters and am also discouraged at the lack of postings. To be honest there may be a couple of reason why that is.

It appears to me that you must come up with a place on your site for others to upload pictures. Correct me if I am wrong if you have a place on your site to do this. People like photo's and want to share them if possible.

It also appears from other sites most of the postings are from the Southern Burlington County region. If that is the case you may want to concentrate some of your site on that area.

But what I feel is most important is that I and others need to be e-mailed when each and all letters are posted on your site, not just replies to letters written. Make it required that to reply to the post you must go back to the site. More replies, more traffic. This is a must in my view to keep people coming back.

In regards to my lack of posting, it is because my travels in the pines are few and far between any more. My ten years of weekends ended years ago. I have photo's, memories, and past knowledge, but to keep a site going you need more than that. Just look at the replies to my Fire Tower letter that I recently posted. There was one reply other than my own. Then look at the Calico replies, and from that you can see where you must concentrate your efforts.

Any comments, suggestions, questions?

Guy Thompson

Also, you may want to change the default on the Preview button. Have it unchecked so that posts are sent immediately unless it is checked. In the past I have thought that I had posted and had not. Comments on this suggestion may be interesting to see.

German

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
I think there is real potential here. It may just be a matter of giving it some time. I've mentined this forum to several people who are aso PB enthusiasts, but most are not computer enthusiasts!

As far as the forum itself goes, it is hard to say what may improve it. A very active forum it take part in does not have means to easily post photos, and does not notify you of new posts or answers (thank God, since new posts come almost every few minutes!). It does bring a thread to the top of the list every time there is a new post on it, which makes it easier to notice the new posts. Also threads with new posts since the last time you logged on have a different color picture of a file folder next to them, again making it easier to scan new posts. I'm not a computer whiz at all and do not know how these features are incorporated, but they do seem useful.

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I agree Bob.
WestyVW said basically the same thing in his post below, "What's going on?". I wonder. In my Yahoo club, which now has 127 members(registered users), I've seen very little posting on the message board up until the last month or so. I think I have maybe 8 to 10 active members. Most of them have posted pictures. And most of them are active on the message board, especially now that we've tried (and succeeded) to find the Ellis Adams Farmhouse site at Calico. 2 or 3 of my newest members are the most active. Believe it or not there are at least 90 out of my 127 members who have NEVER posted even once on the message board.
About this board, I get discouraged when I ask serious questions and either I get no answer at all, or I get an off-topic answer. Like I said to WestyVW, I love the Pine Barrens, its plantlife and ghost towns and everything else, and I love discussing it with others. I love exploring when I can, and then discussing the trips.
By the way Bob, I meant to ask you, would you be interested in me e-mailing you some pictures? If you are, tell me some locations you would like pictures of, (or flora and fauna too), and I'll see what I've got. I've been taking pictures here since 1988. My pictures don't do much good if nobody ever sees them. :)
Thanks,
Barry

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
I agree that having a different colored folder each time there is a new post is very helpful. I have been posting regularly for a couple of years on a bulletin board which does that. When you first log into the bulletin board, it shows you who posted on each of the several forums, divided by geographical location, which lists who made the last post and when. Then you can select a forum, where the latest post is at the top and, like this board, the name of the poster and time of the post is listed.

I am interested in the Pine Barrens and have found very interesting information on the Pine Barren website. I read several of the articles, such as the Pine Barren Commission management plan and an article about the fire plan for the Pine Barrens. It was the latter which led me to email the website. I had found the site on a goggle search under Batona Trail. I thought I was emailing the PBC. Robert emailed me and asked me if I would share my thoughts with the group and included the hyperlink to this site. I am a technologically challenged liberal arts type and you made it simple for me to get on this site. I really think that making this board user friendly for non techological folks like myself will bring more people on board.

I couldn't, however, download a file I clicked on on the website for pine barren hikes. I loaded it to my desktop. The icon is on my desktop but when I click on it doesn't open. I tried opening it from the website, but that didn't work. I also clicked on a picture of the firetower that I found on a topic of the firetower (the firetower name escapes me) but I got an error message. As I said, I'm technologically challenged and if the problem was with my settings, I may as well forget it. I am slowly learning how to use the tools of the Internet.

This board is a great way for Pine Barren lovers to exchange information and thoughts about the Pine Barrens. There appears to be more postings tonight than the last time I was here. I enjoy reading the posts as well as the information on the accompanying website.

-Jeff

Pinetones

Jan 8, 2007
Keep the faith

I am a reporter who covers the Pinelands.
I read this site and many others to gain some information/background on Pinelands issues.
I appreciate your efforts.

Thanks,
Pineyman...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
<I also clicked on a picture of the firetower that I found on a topic <of the firetower (the firetower name escapes me) but I got an error <message.

The post you mention may have been my post on the CedarBridge fire tower. The link did not work because the service provider I had when I posted that message is no longer in business. I have just updated that link and you can view the picture here.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/CedarBridge1977.jpg

Here is the post

http://www.familyfishing.com/pbc/toast/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=2&tid=92

Guy

JeffD

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
Thanks, Guy. I believe the Cedar Firetower was the one I was talking about. I clicked on the link you provided and saw the picture. I thought that the problem may have been on my end; evidently it was not. As I've said, I am somewhat technologically challenged and don't understand all the workings of the Internet. But what you said about the server provider makes sense to me. I didn't realize that something like that could be the case. I continue to learn every day!

Jeff