LIDAR enhanced aerial views

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
UPDATE JANUARY 2022: These maps are no longer available for download and the links in this thread will no longer work. However, you can access the same maps (and over 200 others) with your computer or phone at boydsmaps.com.

https://boydsmaps.com/#14.00/39.818732/-74.535604/lidarClassic/0.00/0.00

https://boydsmaps.com/#14.00/39.818732/-74.535604/lidar2017/0.00/0.00
_________________________________________________________________________________________

My project for a cold winter day…. These views were created by mapping the NJ 2007 aerial imagery onto the 1/9 arc second National Elevation Dataset at a resolution of 10 feet per pixel.

springhill1.jpg

bearswamp.jpg

frm.jpg

warrengrove.jpg

sweetwater.jpg

wellsmills.jpg

harrisville.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice! Could we be able to load them into a GPS if they were more wide spread?

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks, glad you like them! Each image is zoomed to a different level, I included a scale in the lower left corner for reference. The LIDAR imagery is the same dataset I used here for NJPB maps - 10 feet per pixel. I then resampled the NJ 2007 aerials at that same resolution and mapped it onto the LIDAR. Finally, I played around with various parameters to bring out the most detail in each shot. The closer views (like Wells Mills and Harrisville above) are "overzoomed" so that you can see the big blocky pixels.

I have only covered the core pine barrens so far, not sure how much more I'm going to do. But I would like to turn it into a Garmin-compatible map. This kind of Garmin map has limitations on coverage however. Am thinking about providing each USGS 24k quad as a separate file. If I keep the same resolution used in these examples, older devices like the Oregon 450 would only be able to load 4 quads at a time but newer devices like the Oregon 600 or Montana 600 could handle 20 quads. At this point, my whole mapset consists of 22 quads. Will update this thread with more info later.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Maps like this will make me buy a Garmin.Are you planning on covering the whole area you covered with your last LIDAR project?This is the most amazing map I"ve seen yet.next thing you'll come up with is a map with the stones visible!You've out done your self Boyd. The only one that could.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks! :)

Al, this map is not very large at the present time. It's just the basic "core" of the pines, 22 USGS quads. The older LIDAR map (including the one on NJPB maps) is almost 100 quads. I don't think this map will reach that size anytime soon. The biggest part of the process is downsampling the 2007 aerials to 10 ft (3 meters) per pixel to match the LIDAR resolution. I downloaded most of the full resolution 1 foot per pixel data from NJGIN a number of years ago and it's a huge dataset that is slow to process. The original 1 ft/pixel files are 100x larger than the 10 ft/pixel version. I have scripted most of this, but it still needs a lot of human intervention.

Since there seems to be a lot of interest, I'll just process the current 22 quads in Garmin's format and see how that goes. I can then bundle them all into one .zip file for download that will work on Mac and Windows. These would be in the format of one .kmz file for each USGS quad. .kmz files are compatible with a number of free programs for use on the computer (including Garmin Basecamp). They are actually just .zip files that contain multiple jpegs. The .kmz file for each quad will contain 25 images, so you could extract them and convert them to RMP for your Triton Al. But they can simply be dragged and dropped into a Garmin device, which is much easier. :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"ll definitely try them on the Triton.I have plenty of patience so time is no object.Getting ready to buy a new mean machine with more RAM and upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit so hopefully this will allow me to work with much bigger images and faster as well.These maps you've made really show the ditches and holes very well.I think they show up even better then your original LIDAR map and to be able to see vegetation cover on top of it is awesome.
I also have an ongoing issue with the Triton where it will not except tracks made on the computer which is a big disadvantage when stone hunting and also avoiding tresspassing which I manage to do when I can put the property lines on the gps.I have tried multiple computers,several Tritons,Downloaded and redownloaded Vantage point and it is still a no go.I have come to the conclusion the last time magellan updated the Firmware they screwed it up and that will never be fixed since triton is discontinued so when this one dies I"m going to bite the bullet and go to Garmin.I"ll just have to figure out a way to make my own maps when I go to other areas of the country.Your maps of this area are better then anything i could make myself.Maybe I"ll have to geek out and invent a Garmin RMP program or something to that effect:)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's the area that will be covered in the first version of the map. As mentioned above, each quad will consist of 25 map tiles. Older model handhelds can only access a total of 100 tiles, so you must choose only 4 quads at a time. If you want access to more in the field, you would need multiple SD cards with 4 quads each - you cannot have more than 100 tiles stored on the GPS (internal memory + card) at the same time.

The newest models have a limit of 500 tiles, so you must choose 20 (or less) of the 22 quads in the mapset. To confirm how many tiles your GPS can handle, see this FAQ from Garmin Support. The relevant spec is the number next to "Custom Map Tiles". If your GPS is not on this list, it is not compatible at all. For example, the eTrex Legend, GPSMap 60csx and entire Nuvi series cannot use this type of map.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={0b02f820-03db-11e0-e050-000000000000}

index.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You've really got the heartland there Boyd. That'll do me fine.

Now, regarding that 500 map tiles cited for my Montana. That is only if I don't rely on an SD card, right? I mean, if I had a 16GB SD card, I could have all these 550 tiles on my device, right? I mean, why does my GPS care, since it won't be accessing them all anyway, right? I'm not sure why they say only 500, period.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well I cranked out a beta version of the map and it seems to work. Here are a couple screenshots of the Hammonton area from my Montana 600. These look pretty good on the computer, but I had forgotten how poorly transreflective gps screens render color. Not very happy about the way they look on the Montana, but this will have to do for the time being. The map disappears when I zoom out past .5 miles, which is pretty typical for the way Garmin handles this kind of imagery. I don't think the map would be very useful if you zoomed out farther anyway.

montana.jpg

Remember this is BETA software! Lidar in the Pines is a NJPB exclusive - I'll use this thread to provide documentation and support. You can download it here (this URL will change whenever I update the map).

LIDAR_in_the_Pines_001.zip

After downloading on a Windows machine, right-click > Extract All. On the Mac just double-click the file. You will now have a folder containing 22 .kmz files. To install, connect your GPS and open the Garmin folder. If you do not already have a folder named CustomMaps, create one. Now just drag the files you want to the CustomMaps folder (subject to the limits described above). You can use either internal memory or a card - just be sure that the files are inside the Garmin\CustomMaps folder. Here's what it looks like with Windows on my Montana with 20 quads.

install.JPG

Here's a quick overview of using the map in Basecamp on your computer. You can do this if you want to view the maps but don't have a compatible GPS. The software is free and can be downloaded here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

I have to admit, I don't really like Basecamp and rarely use it, so maybe there are better ways to do some of this. These screenshots are all from the Windows version. The Mac version may be different… hopefully Guy will address that if necessary.

I suggest you start by choosing File > New > List and name it LIDAR (or whatever you like). Click on this list to highlight it and choose File > Import > Import into 'LIDAR'. Now browse to find the folder with the .kmz files and shift-click to select them all. You should end up with something like this. Note that you must click on the LIDAR list or else you will not see the map on the screen. Also be sure that "Show Overlays" is selected from the dropdown menu at the lower left.

list.JPG

You can display other Garmin maps on top of the LIDAR, but I can't find a way to make them completely disappear. In these examples I have chosen the Global Map because it has the fewest labels. The labels you see are coming from the Global Map. The LIDAR is just imagery with no labels, roads, etc. On the GPS, you won't see any labels as long as you only enable the custom maps by themselves.

You can set the draw order for the LIDAR as shown below. In this screenshot I have set it so that some of the features of City Navigator are overlaid. Set it to 100 if you want to hide as many features as possible. Unfortunately, it looks like you must set it for each quad separately. Click on the quad name (atsion in the example below, then double-click where it says atsion in the lower left window pane.

draworder.JPG

For fun, try switching to 3d view :)

3d.JPG

If you need help with Basecamp, try this site: http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com

These .kmz files should work in other software as well. Google Earth should open them but I don't use it myself. If you find other software that you like, please post about it here.

You will notice lines separating each quad on the GPS and in Basecamp. They may only appear some of the time. I don't see them at all in Globalmapper, so I think it's a quirk in how Garmin displays multiple .kmz files. I don't like the way this looks, but not sure if I can do anything about it.

Also, I get bogus error messages randomly that say some of the map tiles are too big. I get this with all maps of this type and I think it's just a software bug because all these tiles are well within Garmin's spec. I have seen these messages for years and never understood them.

That's about it for now. Let me know how it works for you and please share any tips that might help others, since I have not provided very good documentation here.

Enjoy….

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I mean, why does my GPS care, since it won't be accessing them all anyway, right? I'm not sure why they say only 500, period.

Bob, I don't know why it "cares", but it does. The whole map is quite small - about 90MB. But a big memory card won't help at all. You can only have a total of 500 map tiles anywhere on the device. 500 is the aggregate total of everything on both internal memory and a card. If you have more, you'll probably get some kind of error message.

Many people believe this is a Garmin marketing thing, and they have deliberately created this limit since they want to sell you maps. Their Birdseye file format (.jnx) allows for 50,000 tiles. But that is not fully supported by any third party software and involves a hack, so I have never looked into it.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I"ll definitely try them on the Triton.

Al, it will be easiest if you can find a way to directly convert .kmz files to .rmp but I'm not sure if that's possible. Maybe you can convert them to something like geoTIFF as an intermediate. Sorry, you will have to research this yourself.

If you can't find a way to do this and just want to extract the .jpg images, change the file extension to .zip - for example, change atsion.kmz to atsion.zip. Now you can right-click > extract all and you'll have a folder with 25 .jpg files plus a text file with information about them.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Bob, I don't know why it "cares", but it does. The whole map is quite small - about 90MB. But a big memory card won't help at all. You can only have a total of 500 map tiles anywhere on the device. 500 is the aggregate total of everything on both internal memory and a card. If you have more, you'll probably get some kind of error message.

Many people believe this is a Garmin marketing thing, and they have deliberately created this limit since they want to sell you maps. Their Birdseye file format (.jnx) allows for 50,000 tiles. But that is not fully supported by any third party software and involves a hack, so I have never looked into it.

It also may be a limit of the database architecture, not memory capacity, they use on those devices.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well I cranked out a beta version of the map and it seems to work. Here are a couple screenshots of the Hammonton area from my Montana 600. These look pretty good on the computer, but I had forgotten how poorly transreflective gps screens render color. Not very happy about the way they look on the Montana, but this will have to do for the time being. The map disappears when I zoom out past .5 miles, which is pretty typical for the way Garmin handles this kind of imagery. I don't think the map would be very useful if you zoomed out farther anyway.

That's about it for now. Let me know how it works for you and please share any tips that might help others, since I have not provided very good documentation here.

Enjoy….

Thanks Boyd! You do work fast :D I'll download today for Basecamp and report back on any issues in this thread. :dance:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd, I downloaded it easily into Basecamp. This is a great resource. I don't even need it on the Montana, since this is really a planning tool for me. I always use my desktop to see where to go and what to see first. Nevertheless, I'll put it on the Montana once I get a new SD card.

Thanks for the hard work and especially for sharing this.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I like how it clearly shows things I wouldn't have noticed before, like the steepness of a Cherry Valley tributary on the Chamberlin Branch. The first clip below is using birdseye alone, the second is using your Lidar.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Boyd if there is a way to convert the KMZ I will find it.Thanks again.Also one question.What is the file extension name that garmin uses for the map files.Like Triton uses RMP files,what does garmin use?