Little Bird

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Could I have possibly seen a Black-Throated Blue Warbler today in the cedar swamp? His top and face were jet black, with a blue sheen. His undersides were creamy white, and although his wings were also black, there was a bright flash of white there, as if his secondary or tertial wings were all white. His black face looked like a black mask, with an outer portion of it running down towards the breast.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You probably did, as that is a good description for one. Warblers are beginning to drop in, the blues or in the bay and the Warblers in the pines, its that time again. I've had one or two in the yard with this bad weather. I heard from a friend that was at Mays Landing, the impoundments are wing to wing shore birds, he could not see the water they were so thick.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You probably did, as that is a good description for one. Warblers are beginning to drop in, the blues or in the bay and the Warblers in the pines, its that time again. I've had one or two in the yard with this bad weather. I heard from a friend that was at Mays Landing, the impoundments are wing to wing shore birds, he could not see the water they were so thick.

That is excellant. Thanks for vote of confidence, as it was a lovely little bird.

http://www.ellenmichaelsphotos.com/d/302-15/black-throated_blue_warbler_1054.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yessirree, Tom! It's actually the beautiful little reprise at the end of the song which I carry around with me through the woods. Very obscure, my man. Very good!

since when do you listen to music with actual spoken lyrics in it? I actually like this song.thought it was the beatles at first of whom I disagree with almost every song they've ever written on a philosophical level but can't help liking their music all the same.terrible lyrics with beautiful music.That sums up my thoughts on the beatles.
Alfie

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That is excellant. Thanks for vote of confidence, as it was a lovely little bird.

http://www.ellenmichaelsphotos.com/d/302-15/black-throated_blue_warbler_1054.jpg

We have one of these bad boys hanging around our yard right now.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Indigo_Bunting/id

He eats dandelion seeds off the grass out back. I am puttin' him on the payroll.

We thought he was a bluebird at first but after watching his habits and getting close, we concluded Indigo Bunting.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I see a lot of different birdseeds in the stores, so what is the best for attracting a wide variety. How do you keep squirrels from eating all the birdfood?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Glo, It's actually a favorite of Billy. I had to use Google to find it also. Anthony Phillips is from London and was a founding member of the group Genesis but had to leave the band in 1970 due to stagefright.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I see a lot of different birdseeds in the stores, so what is the best for attracting a wide variety. How do you keep squirrels from eating all the birdfood?

I use only safflower seed and pepper suet. Squirrels can't stand either, birds aren't affected. The safflower costs a bit more, but you don't have the increased consumption from the squirrels, so it really comes out less expensive.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Glo, It's actually a favorite of Billy. I had to use Google to find it also. Anthony Phillips is from London and was a founding member of the group Genesis but had to leave the band in 1970 due to stagefright.

What a sad story. I wonder what's behind that song--it seems to have so many nuances. Thanks for the info, Oji.

Glo