Little Things

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The Spring rains have been fabulous for the flora, and the fauna are not doing bad either. Here are some little things I have found over the past week.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Guy, I counted 5 still there. This one has the best chance of making it, but it has a fatal flaw in its future. Can you guess what it is?

watermark.php

Here is a good one in bud I found 100 yards away.

watermark.php

Green calms me. How about you?

watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, I counted 5 still there. This one has the best chance of making it, but it has a fatal flaw in its future. Can you guess what it is?

I have no idea so a guess is in order. Maybe two guesses. Growing towards the wire fence, or something to do with the stem. If the second one is right I will elaborate before you say why.

I really know my plants:cry:

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have no idea so a guess is in order. Maybe two guesses. Growing towards the wire fence, or something to do with the stem. If the second one is right I will elaborate before you say why.

I really know my plants:cry:

Guy

Its elementary Watson. All the deer has to do is put reach down and pluck the the inflorescence from the stem. The fence is too close to it. We didn't think of that!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So when do you think the one in your photo will bloom? I want to try to get there for them.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Bob, I'm enjoying your "little things." Could you identify them? (Got the box turtle okay. :) So tiny!)

I really like the way you presented the soon-to-be-blooming buds . . .

Looking forward to seeing your photos, Guy!

Glo

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, I'm enjoying your "little things." Could you identify them? (Got the box turtle okay. :) So tiny!)

I really like the way you presented the soon-to-be-blooming buds . . .

Thanks Glo. I'm embarrassed to say that other than the box turtle and garter snake, I don't know what the two young frogs are. If pressed, I'd say a spring peeper for the first one and a fowlers toad for the next one.

Seems our herpers have been absent from the board.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Thanks Glo. I'm embarrassed to say that other than the box turtle and garter snake, I don't know what the two young frogs are. If pressed, I'd say a spring peeper for the first one and a fowlers toad for the next one.

Seems our herpers have been absent from the board.

Thanks, Bob. I know where to find them. :)

Glo

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Fantastic stuff Robert!
The little things are so delicate and it shows your caring in how gently you handle them in order to share with us. Very cool little guys. Green is calming and pleasing. Sadly enough in these times, folks have to worry too much over the "other" green in order to survive. Your version takes some of the edge off that. Thanks.

g.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Fantastic stuff Robert!
The little things are so delicate and it shows your caring in how gently you handle them in order to share with us. Very cool little guys. Green is calming and pleasing. Sadly enough in these times, folks have to worry too much over the "other" green in order to survive. Your version takes some of the edge off that. Thanks.

g.

You say it well, George. Bob has an eye for the telling detail, doesn't he? Good thing he shares!

Glo

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
I recall an earlier posting about an Orchid the deer love to munch on, just can't recall its name!!!! And I recall you put the fence around some specimens. I guess you would have to make a fence "box" to prevent the deer from reaching down inside. Your heart was in the right place.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I recall an earlier posting about an Orchid the deer love to munch on, just can't recall its name!!!! And I recall you put the fence around some specimens. I guess you would have to make a fence "box" to prevent the deer from reaching down inside. Your heart was in the right place.

Yes, that is the white fringed orchid. They nibble that like I do pretzels with beer. You are right, only a box will do. I hate to see them get eaten.