Local train company seeks to keep Blue Comet memory alive

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I am sure it is cool Maria,
There have been a number of publications on the Blue Comet.
I was blessed enough to have the friendship of an old timer who turned me on a to a little known snippet regarding the Blue Comet right in sight of my homestead. In the interest of whatever copyrights are involved, I shall offer that this was published in a local paper and I have manipulated the tense just a bit as well as thrown in some fill ins from my friend who has since passed. I posted a version of this back sometime in '09.

From the article;
An express killed a mother of five and two of her children.
They were killed instantly on a Monday at 6:10 p.m. when The Blue Comet crashed into their light delivery truck at the unprotected intersection of Fleming Pike and Union Road not far from their home. The woman was Mrs. Antionette Macciolla, 35 of Elm, and her two daughters, Gloria 13, and Jeanne 4.
The accident occurred as they were coming home with a truck of tomatoes, having stopped at a neighbor to ask advice about canning. My source indicated the loud exhaust of the truck diminished her ability to hear the train and she turned straight into it. The gas tank exploded and parts of the truck were scattered for a hundred yards along with red tomatoes making the scene quite macabre in nature.
Gloria's body was badly burned and the husband, Alfred Macciolla collapsed at the scene of the accident. He was a bricklayer for a Hammonton contractor and She worked at the Kessler Dress Factory in town.
The crash occurred just a few moments after the NJCR's Luxury train left the Hammonton Station bound from Atlantic City to Jersey City.
The State Police confirmed the intersection had signage but was without watchman, crossing bells, or signal lights.
The train was able to stop several hundred yards up the track.
The crew included A. Feryling, engineer of Phillipsburg, and J.F. Walsh of Somerville. They told police they saw the truck but were unable to halt the train in time.
The rescue squad was called by neighbors and its efforts were confined to calming the fire and clearing the tracks.
The remaining Macciolla children were Gilda 15, Felicia 11, Alfred Jr. 7.
The funeral services were held at Saint Joseph's church in town and burial at Holy Cross cemetary in Philadelphia.
The train was put into service in 1929 (others can correct if needed) and was taken out of service around September 28th of the year of this accident.
Ironically this accident occurred less than two weeks of the shutdown.
Perhaps (My speculation) they just didn't want to go out on such a terrible note and the incident was downplayed at the local paper level.
You will not have a terribly easy time finding this in print.

Hope you found this interesting.

Greetings and welcome by the way. I have been known to pop in here now and again, hurl foul utterances at Bob, and move on. Hi Bob.
It's been a minute so I figured I would offer something of interest for my visit.

g

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Greetings and welcome by the way. I have been known to pop in here now and again, hurl foul utterances at Bob, and move on. Hi Bob.
It's been a minute so I figured I would offer something of interest for my visit.

g
Why you scoundrel, you wound me grievously while corrupting my reputation. I'll have you cease and desist Sir; else you'll answer on the dueling ground. Harrumph!

• Haha
Reactions: BeachandBarrens