Long Cripple

B

bach2yoga

Is anyone familiar with Long Cripple, three miles east of Woodsmansie? It's referenced in Down Jersey:Folks and their jobs, Pine Barrens, Salt Marsh and Sea Islands as an unlumbered swamp of cedar, later cut down; "the dividing line between the Pines and the Plains; there were so many families living their at the height of the lumbering they tried to have a school established for them.Then the population of Long Cripple shrank to a shack with four occupants, three humans and the thinnest hound dog I ever saw." He says that they went via PA Railroad to Winslow jct then changed to Jersey Central, getting off at Woodmansie, a flag sation. It was a little village then, with a school, where now there is only one house occupied the year round and a number of bungalows for weekend outings and deer hunting. That road from Woodmansie to Long Cripple with its deep worn tracks in the sand and its sloughs filled in with cedar shavings and cedar sawdust". He describes schizea pusilla, pixie, arbutus, etc."
It's mentioned in several other areas of the book as well.
Has anyone ever visited here?
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Sounds like some info digging is in order for me, and a group explore....
Renee

B

bach2yoga

also says...finally the shack disappeared and few visited long cripple save those who would find that rare little fern, Schizea pusilla. In later years you found the spot where it grew designated as Schizea glade, the lettering on a shingle so announcing it being in the bold and flowing hand of Bayard Long, or so it was said.

It was also "fabled that there was a still here in the days of prohibition, but I never happened to stumble upon it."

In another chapter entitled The Plains, he writes: You come on "The Plains suddenly as you follow the cart tracks that serve as a road from Woodmansie to Long Cripple. From the broken light of the open woods you emerge, as if by a fall to another worlkd, into the blinding light of the heath. That light, unrestrained by green boughs of pitch pine and by brown pyramids of white oak leaves, pours with infinite largess over the low whorls of stunted conifers and over the impoverished scrub oaks and blackjacks...the rise of land between you and Barnegat puts a rim toyour view of the heath toward the sea. That ridge is close to 200 feet above the tide."

"All the way from Woodmansie to where they were lumbering at the cedar swamp there was not a house, nor was there any longer a house in the distance we walked beyond Long Cripple, to a point within sight of Barnegat Light."

"(Witmer) Stone was anxious to find schizea, a little fern like plant that Bayard Long had come upon close by a week earlier. We found his legended shingle stuck in the sand, announcing "schizea glade", but no schizea. Alsmost as if cut with a knife, the swamp of white cedar ended and "The Plains" began.

"We make our way eastward for a mile over very gently rising ground, and then climb more sharply until we reach the top of the low ridge that has been our horizon. There is a triangular stone at the hill crest, a surveyor's mark. From here we can see the Marconi receiving station. All the way out to our cross road, that from Old Half Way southward, and back again, we saw but two birds.....Way off to the westward was smoke that looked like that of a forest fire, and the curve of a cedar swamp as it followed some bent cripple, and solid stands of dark pitch pine on a rise of the barrens."

"Desert, our great heath beyond Long Cripple has often been called, and from old time. Witmer Stone, in his Plants of Southern New Jersey tells us that he has found the Pine Barrens gentian depicted as early as 1748 as Gentian of the Desert."

Does any of that ring a bell for anyone?

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
Does any of that ring a bell for anyone?

Renee

From Woodmansie, the plains are not really east, there are more SE. So in that direction the ridge they may be talking about is the highest point of where route 72 meets Coyle Field.

Notice the plains starting in this map which is right at Coyle Field.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=11&x=1372&y=11021&z=18&w=1

That would be heading toward Barnegat as he mentions. The survey mark could be where the Keith line crosses that ridge which is right near the top. Directly west he said he noticed a cedar swamp, which is the same swamp Bob and I visited two weekends ago. He also could be talking about the view from this photo which is along side of Coyle Field and at the top of a hill in the plains.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/1172004/IMG_3016.jpg

I say Coyle Field is the only place that fits concerning the plains. Where that town was I am not certain.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

Thanks, Guy. It makes sense to me. I'll let you know if I dig up anything else.
Renee

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bach2yoga said:
BEHR655 said:
The target on this Topozone link measures approxamately 3 miles as the crow flies. It is a somewhat swampy area and is close enough to the plains to possibly fit the description.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=1...50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

And it's on a road. Hmm....worth a look. Wanna find a still for Jersey lightning? :p
Renee

Is Jersey Lightning more potent than 151 & Coke?

I can remember those days when I had a few and than chased it down with a shot of 151. Just thinking about it now makes me sick :shock:

B

bach2yoga

njvike said:
bach2yoga said:
BEHR655 said:
The target on this Topozone link measures approxamately 3 miles as the crow flies. It is a somewhat swampy area and is close enough to the plains to possibly fit the description.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=1...50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

And it's on a road. Hmm....worth a look. Wanna find a still for Jersey lightning? :p
Renee

Is Jersey Lightning more potent than 151 & Coke?

I can remember those days when I had a few and than chased it down with a shot of 151. Just thinking about it now makes me sick :shock:

From Down Jersey:

named for the obvious reason that it strikes suddenly. Of that sort of Jersey lightning that is electral discharge they way that it never strikes in the same place twice because after it strikes once in a place there is no place left there for it to strike again. Unquestionably there were certain brands of Jersey lightning fabled to lay out its victim after the swallowing of one moderate slug.
Father spoke of Jersey lightning as of something too deadly to have in the house, and Uncle Pline spoke of it as comparable with that hard cider doubly distilled by freezing and drawn out of the heart of the solid lump of ice the cider was by thrusting a red hot poker into the bung of the barrel. Aunt Rachel shook her head at the mention of it and Uncle Jim compared it to its advantage with "the white lighting" he found in his travels into Kentucky and Tennessee. ...I have never met true Jersey lightning from any still of "The Pines". I have been told where some of the finest was made. There was in what they call back of Chatsworth a "field" or abandoned farm without buildings. In the "field," as yet unchoked by the pines and oaks, was a good stand of apple trees. It was out of the way and untroubled by visits of minions of the law. There in the cellar hole of the old house, was the still.
The natives who made Jersey lightning seldom so called it. Following the general American custom of shortening all words they can, Jerseymen truncate applejack to just "jack".
The state of intoxication that follows too great familiarity with applejack is called in Jersey "apple palsy". That is perhaps the greatest tribute of all to its potency. Another such tribute is found in the fact that so many people with whom you discuss it have had but one drink of it. If you ask why, you are generally told that they did not dare take a second one, that they feared they couldn't get home safely if they did.
What a lovely amber it was as you held it up in a cup of Wistarburg glass, the very color of the cedar water of the swamps. There were streaks of fire through it, too, esecially after you had taken one sip. No matter how down and out you were when you came in, how nearly perished, that would put heart in you. I have always thought old Solomon had something very like it in mind, not common drinks like belly whistle, or perfect love or persimmon brandy, when he said: Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish. After the second taste of Jersey lightning you remembered your misery no more.

Could use a bit of that myself... :lol:
Renee

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I remember an earlier thread (approx 2 mos. ago) that described finding a cleared area with some large cut down trees east of Woodmansie. The description in the Down Jersey book also talks about how the road from Old Half Way intersects the road he is on. It looks like of the two roads that head southeast of Woodmansie, they mean the southernmost one.

B

bach2yoga

jokerman said:
I remember an earlier thread (approx 2 mos. ago) that described finding a cleared area with some large cut down trees east of Woodmansie. The description in the Down Jersey book also talks about how the road from Old Half Way intersects the road he is on. It looks like of the two roads that head southeast of Woodmansie, they mean the southernmost one.
Thanks for pointing that out, that is helpful.
Renee