Long Island's Pine Barrens

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
rpp2.jpg

I'm new here and am really impressed with many of the photos and stories from the NJ Pine Barrens. They sure seem alot more expansive than what we have here on Long Island. Nonetheless, Long Island has it's piney places too. So I'm devoting this thread to photos of Long Island's pine barrens. Here are some photos from Rocky Point.
I don't have a DSLR and have been using a Canon A75 for several years, however I recently got an A610 which has better zoom, more resolution, and color effects.

rpdec3.jpg

rpdec13.jpg

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
More Rocky Point

rpp1.jpg

rs3.jpg

Posting images is quite confusing. They seem to overlap eachother and I cant go below once I posted an image to insert text. Interface seems very confusing.

rs2.jpg

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
BEHR655 said:
Hey! Give us back our Pines!!! :D

Welcome aboard. Those photos sure do look like they could have been shot right here in our Pines.

Steve

Thanks. I may create an image gallery here, it seems to confusing to hotlink the images to posts.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Look for Long Island gallery

I'm putting my photos of the pine barrens here on Long Island in the gallery, so look there. So far I've put some from Brookhaven and Rocky Point in there. I'll get to putting some more in there from Bald Hill and the rest of Peconic Hills. We have dwarf pines too in Westhampton, I should get to those eventually also.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I took the liberty to fix your photo's. The problem you are having is you must have a return between the photo's and text. If you go back and click on the "Edit" button for that post, you can see how it should be set up.

Guy

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
TeeGate said:
I took the liberty to fix your photo's. The problem you are having is you must have a return between the photo's and text. If you go back and click on the "Edit" button for that post, you can see how it should be set up.

Guy

Thanks. I did try to hit return but nothing happened. This 6 year old computer is full of gremlins.:jd:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
LongIsland,

Are you a hiker? I tried to find someone to set up a hike in your neck of the woods so we could see what you got up there. No one would do it. Do you know of someone up there that would give us the 5 mile tour that would include uplands and wetlands?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
BobM said:
LongIsland,

Are you a hiker? I tried to find someone to set up a hike in your neck of the woods so we could see what you got up there. No one would do it. Do you know of someone up there that would give us the 5 mile tour that would include uplands and wetlands?

Yes I am a hiker but never went in groups or led any hikes. However, the Hike LI (http://www.hike-li.com/) have hikes and tours of the pine barrens here on LI.

This was one of the recent hikes listed on the Hike-LI site, from the LI greenbelt Trail Conference

Sat. Dec. 31 - ROCKY POINT SHORT OR LONG:
[Note: This hike is a change from the original listing in the Fall newsletter.]

10:30 AM – 3.5 or 7 miles – moderate – mostly flat – Info: Karen, 631-929-6590.
Choose either distance on this walk in the pine barrens of Brookhaven State Park; bring snack and liquid; meet at s.w. corner of Shoreham-Wading River H.S. parking lot (Wm. Floyd Pky. north to NY 25A, east short distance to highschool.).

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Wow!! I have been aware that there was a LI pine barrens but I had no idea it was going to look identical! What is the approx. size of the LI barrens? Any photos or info on the fauna would be of major interest as K said. Have you been to the south Jersey barrens? Great shots.

Jeff

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
LongIslandPiney said:
Thanks. I may create an image gallery here, it seems to confusing to hotlink the images to posts.

Hey, LIP,
Welcome aboard. Pine barrens on Long Island! Whodathunkit?
Thanks for the pics.

Dave (Pppob)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bruset said:
I would be up for exploring the Long Island Pine Barrens. I bet it's like a 4 hour drive, each way, though.

I was thinking of a drive up on a Friday afternoon, stay at a motel, hike from, say, 9 to 4, then drive home. Or stay overnite Saturday then drive home sunday.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
LongIslandPiney said:
Yes I am a hiker but never went in groups or led any hikes. However, the Hike LI (http://www.hike-li.com/) have hikes and tours of the pine barrens here on LI.

Thanks Long Island, for the info. Does not sound like my cup of tea. I was looking for a bushwack hike rather than a group hike. Seems like New Yorkers in that area stay to the trails.

I also note that you have a small patch of pines up by the ice caves and one small patch around Albany.

Note: I just found this:

http://www.hike-li.com/maps2.htm

If I could get a copy of the page on the left I could design my own hike. I'd rather not pay $16 for the entire map.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
LIP,
I'm not much of a hardcore hiker and I don't really know from the mechanics of posting pics here, but I am sure the Sages of the site will help you there.
What I can say like some others is.... Wow, these look like any scene and any trail that I could see on any turn of anywhere in the pines I've been too.
( Too many any in that sentence ?? ) Nice area, nice pics.
Thanks for posting.
G.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BEHR655 said:
You are half way there on Friday afternoons aren't you?

I dunno about halfway. Maybe like 1/3 of the way there. I think the LIPB are pretty far out on the island.

Was the idea to stay over Friday night and hike Saturday, and then drive home Saturday night?