Loose Critter?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm driving west on Dover Road from the intersection of Lacey Road yesterday around 1PM, heading to the parkway for a visit up north. When i get to that curve where ten-mile hollow is, near the small pond on the north side of the road, I see something strange on the trail heading back to the pond out of the corner of my eye.

It looked to be about the size of an extra large hog, but with a longer snout, and it was dark colored (a shade darker than regular milk chocolate). It was looking back over it's shoulder at the road. I nearly jammed on the brakes to go back and take a look, but I was pressed for time, and wanted to ensure I beat any returning shore traffic. I also convinced myself I was seeing things.

Today, at about 4:40 PM, I returned home, and as I went by the same place, there was an animal control truck with the back open and 4 police cars in the clearing by the guard rail. So maybe I did see something after all.

Have any of you seen or heard anything?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
No info on the critter. I believe I know of the pond and guard rail you speak of at the bend. What I didn't know is that the area is called 10 mile hollow. Can you elaborate?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Since 2 miles from my house, I just checked. No bear tracks, but a couple deer tracks, which leads me to the most likely scenario. A deer was hit on Dover road, and probably was partially lying down in the sand. Someone likely called the zoo eventually and the cops were there to assist in loading it into the truck. Just a guess, but I'll stick with that for now.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'd agree with that, the deer like the high roadside grass. In that same spot a week after we got the Jeep, one J-walked in front of us, I almost missed it. It tried to stop but slid on the pavement and glanced off the rear leaving a few strands of hair. Thankfully it ran off with 2 others and no damage done, but one scared deer. :eek:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Zebulon Collins is the most famous person in the cemetery there. His home is mentioned in the John Rutherford survey I am working on and the corner of his home location is actually used in a survey I have.

zeb.jpg

Reactions: mudpie