lost on apple pie hill

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
did you know that theres a lost treasure somewhere on apple pie hill. the british ambushed american troop carrying the army payroll. it is sayed that they hide 2 chests full of gold on the hill . as they were departing they were attacted by american troop looking for them. they were killed and the payroll never found..........i'm looking for the story right now to post the details of it

centralrrofnj

Nov 5, 2003
I read that story in an old Lost Treasures of the US (or something like it)
guidebook that I got back in the 70's. Even with my large library on local history, that obscure reference is the only one that I have ever seen about it.

With all the information that is available on the encounter at Chestnut Neck, I find it hard to believe that a skirmish could have taken place in the Apple Pie Hill area and nothing about it was passed down over the years. Its probably just a fantasy, but boy does it stoke the imagination!
If there WAS any truth to it, I'd imagine Apple Pie Hill would have more holes dug in it than the Superstition Mountains where the "Lost Dutchman Mine" is supposed to be located!

Danny

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I just checked "Battles and Skirmishes in New Jersey of the American Revolution" by David C. Munn and he shows no record of a battle or skirmish at Apple Pie Hill. I don't think the story is true.

Why would the payroll be carried through Apple Pie Hill?

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
its a trusted magazine , and the stories are on the money , i got 100 mags to serch for it . but i would not make it up just for a chat subject , i know better . and if its wrong or right whos to say that the subject didn't happen in that area . we'll never know because it happened so long ago. i don't want anyone to get mad at me. but i tell it like i saw it first hand . or if i read about it .

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
i didn't say you were making it up or lying.

i've just looked through a ton of reference material and haven't found any mention of a skirmish there. maybe there was, but you would think that if a payroll was missing that it would be documented in a few places.

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
heres the same article word for word .i'm still looking for the whole story....[during the revolution, british troops buried are said to have buried 2 chests of gold coins somewhere on apple pie hill , 3 miles southwest of chadsworth,county road 563 in burlington county n.j ] word for word

Alfonso,

I think what Ben is saying is that while there may be an artical in a magazine that you read about a payroll being missing at Apple Pie Hill, the artical could be wrong. History is not usually written as fact unless there is more than one source to confirm the story. Ben has done some research and has not come up with anyyhing on it. Where did the author of the artical get his facts? I would be interested in reading the artical if you can find it. It would be interesting to see if the author lists any sources.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If it wasn't for the new wooden barriers around the hill, the pot of gold would have shown up by itself as the 4x4 vehicles dug it up. No need for metal detectors!

Guy

B

bach2yoga

KenDawg said:
I'm with Ken, I'll borrow a back ho from work and lets get busy. lol

Heck, no need to borrow one, Joe has one in the yard!

Renee