Lower Forge camping

Adam Buchler

Scout
Nov 5, 2011
Has anyone camped lower forge? It says no vehicles but I have a lot of stuff to carry so I am trying to figure out how close I can get my truck to the site to unload it. Anybody familiar with the area?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is basically a wilderness camp where hikers frequent.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Adam, it has been awhile since I camped there but it is about a half mile walk from Quakerbridge Rd. I don't think it is possible to get the campground from Stokes Road or across "un-bridge" without getting wet. It is a primitive camp site with one privy and no water. You have to pack water in or make sure you bring a filter/tablets.

The bridge is out where Old Lower Forge Road meets the Batso.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
You can get close WITH 4WD by heading north after crossing Quaker Bridge. There is heavy sand on that road. Be warned, Big Foot has been sighted there.

Lower Forge.jpg

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
i have camped there about 30 times. only 4 times this year so far. it is a wilderness and not meant for car camping. MY stuff weights 20 lbs. gear, food and 1 liter of water. i don't even know what your stuff is? it's a 7 hike hike from Batsto and 26 miles from Bass river or Ong's hat. the sand road is .5 miles in, but feels like 2 miles after 26 :)
2 months ago i hiked the 26 in from Ong's hat. got there at 5. backpackers expect all to honor hiker-midnight which comes about 1-2 hours after sunset :) most of the time it is great as all are so tired from hiking or paddling in. it is not a sight for radios, music or bright lites.
you may want to conciser a car camping site. Batona, Hawkins, Godfrey or Buttonwood. http://goo.gl/maps/WQKE

KK&K

Reactions: Chordate

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
What time of year will you be going? When the water cools and the cedar water "lightens", we've skipped packing water (saves a lot of weight) and boiled the river water. I don't mind the taste at all. How much equipment do you need?

Adam Buchler

Scout
Nov 5, 2011
Well I'm not a very experienced camper with nice gear that allows me to hike in, so I'm kind of stuck close to the car. My camping gear is just old stuff passed down from my parents. I basically just have a two burner colman stove, a couple fry pans and simple cooking utensils, cooler for food which i try to prep as much as possible at home so I don't need to bring additional cooking supplies(but I do like to eat well out there so it's usually a large cooler), my tent which sleeps 3-4, couple camping chairs, sleeping bags, pillows, firewood. I was hoping to go with in the next month.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
LOL face it, your a car camper :)
with that gear i'd say Batona Camp. it's my favorite of the car camps. still wilderness, but has a well and 3 privies. nice day hikes to Apple Pie Hill, Hampton Furnace or Speedwell.
KK&K
PS you don't need a cooler for SPAM ;)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Has anyone ever tried the civilian MREs? I recently saw Wornick Eversafe MREs on the shelf at the local outdoor store and I was curious if they are worth the price. A case of twelve meals was seventy-nine dollars. MREs could be a great option for camping if the quality is there.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Spam? My brother brought it once, I packed my own from then on. lol. I used to pre-cook bacon or sausage, freeze it and insulate it. Hard boil some eggs. Dinner was pre-cooked Kielbasa, frozen, insulated. All was re-cooked over the fire. Fine dining!
Greg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
keilbasa from some obscure polish store in Trenton

I could walk up the street from my grandparents house Sunday and pick you up some kielbasa. You want Krajana or Czosnkowa? Fresh Rye Bread too? Most of the small stores have closed but the farmer's market is still the best place to go.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Corned beef hash...YES!

I only backpack in cooler weather and it is a tradition to always have corned beef hash for breakfast. There's nothing like firing up my little pocket rocket backpacking stove on a chilly morning and hearing the sizzle in the pan and inhaling that marvelous comfort food smell.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Adam, unless you hire a team of Sherpas or a herd of llamas, kayak karl is right, you're a car camper, not a backpacker.

Another suggestion for you would be to camp out at one of the state parks like Bass River. You can rent a primitive wilderness campsite for $20 a nite. If my memory serves me correctly, cabins are $45 a night. Some of the advantages of staying at Bass River is that you can pull right into your camp site. There's a fire ring at every site, and since you have your vehicle you can haul in enough firewood to keep a nice, warm, blazing fire going (firewood is sold all over the pine barrens for $5+ a stack - buy at least three $5 stacks!) There are bathrooms, showers and a laundry mat on site, plus restaurants close by if you don't feel like cooking.