Lumberton man drowns when kayak overturns

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
It's still too cold! I'm seeing all the roof racks back on the cars but hypothermia is a real issue. We wern't allowed on the Delaware till Memorial Day. Someone usually dies on the Delaware mid April to mid May each year.

Too many people leave their PFD near; that may be OK in July but it can be lethal in April!

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I work with some serious kayakers, who go out most of the year. But they are prepared with proper clothing, including wetsuits. And their PFDs are worn at all times, even during the summer. I'm not quite as protected when I take my canoe out during duck season, but I do wear my PFD, and keep a change of clothes with me in a dry bag. It's a shame so many lose their lives when it takes so little to prevent it.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
What an awful tradgedy. I've noticed alot of activity of the fishing nature in Pemberton lake with the recent warm weather. While the cold water is probably the reason he couldn't right himself before drowning, there are other considerations as well...Pemberton lake is pretty shallow for the most part, it is possible he got tangled in sphagum moss or hit a cedar stump as he upset. There could be a host of factors involved, including the man's health in general. What a awful shame.

Jeff