Makepeace Lake water levels and a question

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Wow! I was out paddling with a friend on Makepeace Lake today and could not believe the water level! What is normally and 6-8 foot deep lake, at its deepest point today wasn't more than a foot and a half deep. Stumps sticking out everywhere, paddles covered in alga and a good 50 ft of sludging before we could actually paddle. The size of the lake was really diminished and my friend said that he never seen it quite that low.

I was just wondering...after seeing what the bed of the lake looked like, I am assuming that it is a man made lake. Does anyone know if that is indeed the case. And why was it made (if it was)?

Thanks!

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Hi..Makepeace Lake is man made as are all of the lakes here in South Jersey. I believe it was once or maybe still is used as a resevoir for the blueberry farmers.

Maybe about 10-12 years ago, give or take (I have never been good about time) the earthen dam washed out with the help of vandals. It was much more of a lake back then. There were some repairs made and the water level came back but not to the same extent. Even after a good rainy season you can still bump the stumps. The channel might be about 4-6 feet if you can find it. The rest of the lake on the main part is probably about 3 foot tops...except after a rainy spell.

the other side of Weymouth Rd is not much more than wetlands with a stream running through it.

It's a beautiful place to be in the early morning. We have seen immature and adult bald eagles. Wood and Black Ducks and various birds.

One morning this past May we were treated to the quank of a PB treefrog as we unloded the yaks....I love it out there.

I hope you came prepared with chest waders :)

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Thanks for the info Joyce. It really is a beautiful lake. We saw tons of egrets and although I was told there is always a chance of seeing an eagle or two, I wasn't so lucky. Also saw some otter ripplings on the water, but couldn't spot any of those either.

I didn't bring waders, but itmight have been an easier way to get out to where we could paddle freely. Can't wait to get back out there when the water is a little higher...

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
It is a neat place out there. I know you can check the level of the lake at the spillway right at the road where you can park. That's a good point about it being used to blueberry farmers, there's a couple small dikes and dams back in the woods behind the lake, so it might have also been used for cranberries. The stumps keep it interesting! lol