Making my first trip...

Mike_Future

May 8, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Hey everyone. My name is Mike, from Southern CT. I have been planning a trip to the Barrens, and this year it's finally happening. I have a spot in mind, but i'm not sure yet. I am bringing my camera, a few friends, and hopefully some luck. I hope you all can give me some tips of what to expect this time of year.

I really hope to see a Timber Rattlesnake, and a Pine Snake. A few treefrogs would be nice too. What other animals are around that I should be aware of (Black Bears?).

Just to be clear, I have much respect for the natural world. I have been studying, breeding, and keeping reptiles & amphibians for much of my 28 years. I started birdwatching when I was 12. I have spent a lot of time in the field, appreciating animals in their habitats, and creating wonderful memories. It's been a dream of mine to visit the Pines, and now I have the chance to do it, and I want to make the most of it.

Thank you all in advance for your advice.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
hi im herb, and im kinda new too, ive lived in cumberland county for 4 years and you can expect to see a ton of reptiles in the barrens, its insane, everywhere you go theres fence lizards and tons of snakes, finding pine snakes and rattlers are my main goals too, havent done it yet.

good luck and welcome

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Mike_Future said:
Hey everyone. My name is Mike, from Southern CT. I have been planning a trip to the Barrens, and this year it's finally happening. I have a spot in mind, but i'm not sure yet. I am bringing my camera, a few friends, and hopefully some luck. I hope you all can give me some tips of what to expect this time of year.

I really hope to see a Timber Rattlesnake, and a Pine Snake. A few treefrogs would be nice too. What other animals are around that I should be aware of (Black Bears?).

Just to be clear, I have much respect for the natural world. I have been studying, breeding, and keeping reptiles & amphibians for much of my 28 years. I started birdwatching when I was 12. I have spent a lot of time in the field, appreciating animals in their habitats, and creating wonderful memories. It's been a dream of mine to visit the Pines, and now I have the chance to do it, and I want to make the most of it.

Thank you all in advance for your advice.

I'm glad to hear about your interests in the Pine Barrens. The Barrens is a very unpredictable place... days you can hit jackloads of snakes, and other days that seem perfect, nothing. Finding a Timber Rattlesnake in the barrens in one trip is slim to none, you would probably have better luck in New York or Pennsylvania. Pine snakes, are too.. pretty unpredictable (from what i heard)..and you usually find them, "nowhere". I wouldn't worry about the black bears.

Still make the trip though, the barrens is an awesome place to be. You might want to look up spots to camp like Wading Pines Resort or Brenden T. Byrne (Lebanon).

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The pines seem to be hit or miss as far as reptiles are concerned. Unlike other areas you really have to look long and hard to find reptiles in the pines, at least for me. It is not like other areas were you seem to stumble upon nature, you really have to seek it out in the pines. Finding a pine snake should be possible they are seen fairly frequently throughout the pines. As for timbers good luck they are pretty tough to find in the pines, and are extremely rare. As for bears I wouldn't worry too much about them, they have been recorded in all of the southern counties of jersey but your chances of seeing one is very remote. As for areas to visit, wharton state forest would be my first spot to look especially along caranza road. Also double trouble state forest and greenwood wma, are some of my favorites. Make sure wherever you go you only carry a camera and not any snake handling equipment. New Jersey is very strict when it comes to this stuff and I think they consider just about anything as harrassment. Also as for the pines being hit or miss this is simply my personal opinion, it could be a complete misconception. I wish you luck. Please share with us any pictures you get.