Man finds ancient cannonball on shore of Toms River.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070306/NEWS/70306014

The man who found it said that he could still smell gun powder!

State police actually evacuated the building where the man lives while a bomb squad took care of it. The man who found it wanted it preserved and sent to a museum, but the police have deemed it unsafe and fit for destruction. I don't know anything really about cannonballs, but can't they just remove the gun powder without destroying it?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
heard about it on the radio today, when I got home I read the a.p.p. and was surprised it was some one I went to high school with that found it. nice find to bad it couldn't find a home in a local museum.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
There is no way that should be destroyed and you can be certain it will not.
It shouldn't be that difficult to flush the product from the Ball. It should be in a Maritime Historical Museum the likes of L.B.I. museum or Tuckerton, but of course in it's own region.
"Washed Up", Yes... that is an odd term for a cannonball.
Be certain of this, It will wind up on some private individual's mantle.

g.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I hope you're right, Largo, and that this piece of history is preserved. When I read that they were going to destroy it, I couldn't believe it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I hope you're right, Largo,

The problem is that it should be in the hands of the person who found it once it is disarmed if that is possible. Largo is correct that most likely someone unknown will have possession of it.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Man finds ancient cannonball on shore of toms river

The problem is that it should be in the hands of the person who found it once it is disarmed if that is possible. Largo is correct that most likely someone unknown will have possession of it.

Guy

:) I wholeheartedly agree with largo and teegate on this matter.It' s called show me the money!!!