Mannis Duck Pond

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I hiked up Mannis Pond Rd from Bulldozed Rd today, scouting locations for possible photography. I was surprised to find this spillway/dam with this plaque. A search revealed that (of course) it has been discussed here before. I am curious whether anyone knows for sure if there was a Lower Forge Deer Club, and if they built this dam. And I am also curious how they would have driven a concrete truck up this small path in 1962. I would think that a truck that heavy would have no chance of making it to this spot, considering how narrow the path is, and how soft the ground is, unless it was dramatically different in 1962.

I was also struck how the forest on the way up Mannis Pond road was nothing but pines and bayberry? Do I have that right? Looks like there may have been a fire that cleared all of the undergrowth out, leaving nothing but (bayberry?), I have no skill whatsoever at flora. Sorry I did not take a shot of that, I should have.
mannis_dam.jpg

mannis_deer_club.jpg

mannis_pond.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Wow, it's all there Chooch, thanks. I didn't read far enough before, Don Catts really laid it out. I'd still like to know how a big cement truck got that far into the woods. Too bad most of the original members (of the Lower Forge Deer Club) aren't here to tell us.

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am curious whether anyone knows for sure if there was a Lower Forge Deer Club, and if they built this dam. And I am also curious how they would have driven a concrete truck up this small path in 1962. I would think that a truck that heavy would have no chance of making it to this spot, considering how narrow the path is, and how soft the ground is, unless it was dramatically different in 1962.

Contact Marilyn Schmidt, owner of Buzbys in Chatsworth. She was putting a book together on deer clubs and might have knowledge of it.

They probably mixed their own cement on site.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Contact Marilyn Schmidt, owner of Buzbys in Chatsworth. She was putting a book together on deer clubs and might have knowledge of it.

They probably mixed their own cement on site.
I guess if you loaded up a few pick-up trucks with bags of concrete mix, wood for forms, and a portable cement mixer, and used the pond for water... I suppose that makes sense. That is lot of concrete, and there is more under the leaves. I am far from a contracter, but I've mixed some concrete at a couple of houses I lived in to patch small areas in walks. Even that was hard, dirty work. Pretty big undertaking. They went to a ton of trouble to do that.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Right, that's why I said "portable". Everything still had to get hauled there, and the concrete has to get into the forms, by shovel or by some sort of chutes. Still seems like a big, dirty, job to me, but then so does mowing my lawn!

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
And don't forget they would have had to redirect the water flow to keep the forms dry until the concrete set. That is some deep woods piney engineering!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
And don't forget they would have had to redirect the water flow to keep the forms dry until the concrete set. That is some deep woods piney engineering!
These were the guys coming out of WWII or Korea, like my father. And the guys that ran NASA and sent "test pilots" to the moon. They thought they could do pretty much anything... and they were right.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Do you have any photos of this "Bayberry"? It could be bayberry but I think "Inkberry" probably more likely. If you crush bayberry leaves they smell good.Inkberry leaves have no smell other then crushed leaf smell.
MM, I should have taken a shot but I didn't. I've never seen a section of woods that seemed quite like this, just pitch pine, and these low bushes, maybe 2 or 3 feet tall, which were a pretty light green. The berries were also green. There wasn't a lot of undergrowth and overgrowth, rotten wood, briars, etc, like so much of the pine barrens has. And no other bushes, just the light green bushes. As if there had been a fire which burned away everthing else, but the pine didn't look charred. Like maybe it happened five years ago.

Reactions: manumuskin

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
MM, I should have taken a shot but I didn't. I've never seen a section of woods that seemed quite like this, just pitch pine, and these low bushes, maybe 2 or 3 feet tall, which were a pretty light green. The berries were also green. There wasn't a lot of undergrowth and overgrowth, rotten wood, briars, etc, like so much of the pine barrens has. And no other bushes, just the light green bushes. As if there had been a fire which burned away everthing else, but the pine didn't look charred. Like maybe it happened five years ago.
I think you are talking about this area? This is Mannis duck pond road in 2014, in November. You can't see the leaves on the bushes, obviously, but you could still see the char at the bottom of the trees at that time.
_DSC4560.jpg

IMG_8773.jpg

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
There was a fire there in June 2011, .
https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/wharton-forest-fire-06-10-11.7313/#post-86220

There was also a BIG fire at Mannis to the north in the early to mid 80's. That one took the trees down, and for a long time was a great place to hike. Now it is so overgrown you can't see much. Imagine standing there and seeing almost to the horizon.
Looking at your link and the satellite shot of the fire, the area (southwest of Mannis Pond) is where I noticed pines and light green, low bushes, and there didn't seem to be anything else at all. It was almost certainly the 2011 fire that accounts for the pristine pretty look of the forest in that area. It's like the fire cleansed the forest, leaving fresh, green bushes. We need more fires!

Chooch, your shots also show Mannis Pond Rd, but since it's a different season, doesn't look the same. I must have seen some charring on the pines the other day, since my impression had been there was a fire, but it wasn't real black, maybe because the bushes now have leaves on them and cover a lot of the char.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Well ripe inkberries are black and ripe bayberries are a waxy grey but perhaps what you were seeing was most likely unripe berries.I have seen both inkberry and bayberry grow in solid patches but in the pines in an old burn I"d say inkberry.Or possibly Sheep laurel? but I"ve never seen berries on sheep laurel.Now another possibilty and there would definitely be green berries on it right now is huckleberry.If it was three feet tall I"d say Black Huckleberry.The berries are out and green right now.They turn blue to black in July.Huckleberry is so prevalent I never noticed it making an impression on someone except in October when it turns flame red to magenta but perhaps with the openeness and the still vibrant spring green of the foliage it impressed you.If the fire did not destroy the root layer but just wiped out the shrub layer then huckleberry would shoot back up with a vengeance before anything else had a chance to recuperate. I"d google Black Huckleberry and see if that is what you saw. Here is a pic I found.

Attachments

• huckleberry.JPG
    huckleberry.JPG
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 426

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Well ripe inkberries are black and ripe bayberries are a waxy grey but perhaps what you were seeing was most likely unripe berries.I have seen both inkberry and bayberry grow in solid patches but in the pines in an old burn I"d say inkberry.Or possibly Sheep laurel? but I"ve never seen berries on sheep laurel.Now another possibilty and there would definitely be green berries on it right now is huckleberry.If it was three feet tall I"d say Black Huckleberry.The berries are out and green right now.They turn blue to black in July.Huckleberry is so prevalent I never noticed it making an impression on someone except in October when it turns flame red to magenta but perhaps with the openeness and the still vibrant spring green of the foliage it impressed you.If the fire did not destroy the root layer but just wiped out the shrub layer then huckleberry would shoot back up with a vengeance before anything else had a chance to recuperate. I"d google Black Huckleberry and see if that is what you saw. Here is a pic I found.
I googled Black Huckleberry and the color and height looks just right. Allowing for a lighter green of the spring leaves (or maybe it's because the wood was darkened from the fire), and immature green berries I think you have nailed it. I am going back into Wharton today and feel like I have to go back there and take a couple of shots. And you are also correct, by themselves relatively common and not impressive but with the absence of all other bushes except for the pine, the effect was striking. Funny how the more trips I take into the woods, the more I am beginning to appreciate the subtle beauty and variety of different areas of the pines.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
By the way Jon,In another month you can eat those green berries,they will be blue/black.Huckleberry is a more meatier and seedier berry then blueberries but they are the same basic plant. Any blue berry with a calyx you can eat.If no calyx don't eat it.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe