Manumuskin Preserve

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Anybody familiar with the terrain, specifically hiking, on the Manumuskin River? This actually goes for the whole Maurice River to the Del. Bay area (Peaslee Wildlife Area, Monnantico Wildlife area, Heislerville, etc.). Have checked it on the net and the great pics and overviews have pricked my interest. I know its great for kayaking, canoing, etc, but with the size of some of these preserves I thought there might be some nice places to stretch my legs. Thanks in advance gang

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I have never hiked in the area but I do frequent the area for fishing. My pop docks a boat at Anchor Marina which is in Matt's Landing right down the road from Heislerville. There is a crusty old crew of locals around that area that get a ton of stripers until the season ends then go right into the waterfowl, pheasant season. I don't know of any established hiking trails so you'll probably be bushwacking. Give it a try its probably a very rich area as far as wildlife goes. Have fun.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Heislerville and East Point Lighthouse

When my kids were small, we made a point of going to East Point Lighthouse, near Heislerville---the light was built in the 1800's, and in the fall the Monarch Butterflies and a host of others stage here before crossing the Delaware Bay during migration. It is a very beautiful, peaceful, secluded place. Mauricetown is another place steeped in history---it looks like a New England fishing village, and during its hayday hosted many ships engaged in whaling, oystering, and etc.---all of these places are a great visit.
East Point Lighthouse
Maurice River Township, NJ
Where the Maurice River meets the Delaware Bay, southwest of Heislerville.
Under restoration by the Maurice River Historical Society.
east_point_lighthouse.jpg
The East Point Lighthouse has played an important part in the maritime history of the Maurice River area of Cumberland County, New Jersey. Originally known as the Maurice River Lighthouse, it was erected in 1849 by the United States Lighthouse Establishment. The present name was initiated in 1913. Throughout the years its guiding light has shown fisherman, oystermen, and recreational boaters the way into the mouth of the Maurice River. During the daylight hours, it has been used as a landmark by hunters, trappers, and surveyors.
Although numerous lighthouses once stood along the edge of the Delaware Bay, East Point is the last one remaining on the Jersey side. In fact, it is the second oldest lighthouse standing in New Jersey (only the Sandy Hook Lighthouse of 1764 is older). The lantern room offers a panoramic view of the surrounding land and water and is a favorite subject of photographers and painters alike.
The US Coast Guard operated the East Point Light from 1939 until 1941 when the light was extinguished due to the beginning of the war. In 1956 the property was deeded to the New Jersey Division of Fish, Game, and Wildlife. Over the years the vacant structure suffered greatly from vandalism and weather. In early 1971 a group of concerned local citizens formed the Maurice River Historical Society with the goal of saving the historic building from destruction. In July of that year, an incident occurred which nearly doomed the lighthouse; a trespasser in the building caused a fire which destroyed the roof and the lantern room.
Through the mid 1970's, funded only by local fundraising and donations, determined members of the Maurice River Historical Society succeeded in rebuilding the roof and lantern room. Then on July 2, 1980 at public request, the US Coast Guard reinstalled a beacon in the structure and put the East Point Lighthouse back on the list of active navigational aids.
The Society holds its annual Open House at the lighthouse on the first Saturday in August.
For more information, please contact: eastpointlighthousenj@yahoo.com

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Thanks for all the commentary everybody its appreciated. I found that the Nature Conservancy administrates most holdings in the Maurice River area, if anybody is interested in knocking around there the contact number is 856 881 0600. They can give you the run down.
J~

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Nature conservancy

Willow Grove lake comprises part of the headwaters of the Maurice River---back in the 90's, Dupont donated the land on the west side of Rt.55 which extends out north to Malaga Lake and on south, a nice tract of land. There are 2 feeder streams going into Willow Grove Lake, the larger one comes from Iona Lake and is beautiful. This stream is worth exploring. Willow Grove lake is a great fishing lake, too. DuPont had bought this tract in the 60's and sank wells in anticipation of using fresh water for its industrial purposes, but the wells were never used. I am thankful the Nat. Con. has it now. At one time they did not permit human activity there, but that was about 10 yrs ago.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Yeah, the Nature Conservancy is a really great org. Sometimes I wished they would open up there controlled environments to a little more foot traffic, but that means more supervision, trail upkeep, and ultimately more money. When you weigh that against all the danger Jersey has seen in sprawl I'll settle for whatever conclusions they come to. Thanks for the info Furball, I'll keep you posted on what happens. Or feel free to drop a line if you want to get out, I hike all over the MidAtlantic and then some:D
Ooops, my bad. I just saw your living in Fl. Well, if your ever up this way drop a line.
J~

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
Willow Grove Lake run`s all the way to Union Lake in Millville, then it dump`s into the Maurice River. You can Canoe/Kayak from Willow Grove to Union Lake. It`s a nice day trip.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Thanks everyone, and Piney Boy, I am coming up in late winter/ early spring to hook up with my best friend for some barrens exploring, revisiting places we frequented years ago. I'm looking forward to it. There's a lot of forest land here in Florida, but it's not really "preserved"--unless it's a designated "wilderness area" , and so, for instance in the Ocala National forest, you can go back another day and most of the trees in a large swath have been logged. A renewable resource that will take years to grow back---it does something to ones psyche' to experience such rapid change. That's what I like about the pine barrens, for the most part it is preserved, and when you go back, it's like you never left. Does that make sense? Thanks for the offer to hook up.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I lived in Fl. my Freshman Year of college, and while I came not to like year round warm weather I loved the Glades. Also did about half of the Florida Trail, nice length and some great wilderness sites. Have a great time back in the Pines.:jd:

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Big Cypress,no.

I live in Central Florida, about 30 miles southeast of Ocala National forest, and not far at all from the St. Johns River. Big Cypress is about 250 miles south of me--Florida, unlike NJ, is huge--about 600 miles from Miami to Pensacola!!!--I have been up and down and sideways here, but not to Big cypress yet--someday soon--I know the FL Trail starts there.There's a 30 some mile segment that runs through Juniper Prairie Wilderness in Ocala NF and I am planning a trip soon---best time of the year--it hit a very hot 70 degrees today, 40's at night, no humidity, no bugs!

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
It makes up for 6+ months of 90 degree weather, 90+% humidity, and every conceivable bug you can think of--and then some!!:cool: