Many may lose may Internet in July

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
This is what happened(Associated Press)
Hackers infected a network of probably more than 570,000 computers worldwide. They took advantage of vulnerabilities in the Microsoft Windows operating system to install malicious software on the victim computers. This turned off antivirus updates and changed the way the computers reconcile website addresses behind the scenes on the Internet's domain name system.
The DNS system is a network of servers that translates a web address - such as www.ap.org - into the numerical addresses that computers use. Victim computers were reprogrammed to use rogue DNS servers owned by the attackers. This allowed the attackers to redirect computers to fraudulent versions of any website.
The hackers earned profits from advertisements that appeared on websites that victims were tricked into visiting. The scam netted the hackers at least $14 million, according to the FBI. It also made thousands of computers reliant on the rogue servers for their Internet browsing.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I understand none of this.Everytime I think I have finally came into the electronic age I am again reminded that I grew up playing with slingshots and riding gearless bicycles.A darn Neandertal is what I am,well some of my ancestors were from Germany anyway.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I understand none of this.Everytime I think I have finally came into the electronic age I am again reminded that I grew up playing with slingshots and riding gearless bicycles.A darn Neandertal is what I am,well some of my ancestors were from Germany anyway.

I’m fairly technology-challenged myself, but also find it amusing how often people panic and can’t live without something, even for a short while, that didn't even exist a generation ago. If I lost internet service, I'd grab a book off my shelf to read. Maybe I'd even talk to my wife. Maybe. ;)

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
570,000 is a big scary number that makes a nice sound byte. Read all the way down to the end of the article and it says that only 85,000 of these are in the US. Now there are maybe 200 MILLION personal computers in the US, so if my math is right this means that 0.04% (four one hundredths of a percent) of US computers are compromised. Big deal. :rolleyes:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I frequently hear of God given inalienable rights whatever these may be.The only God given right we have is the right to die and even when and where isn't or shouldn't be up to us.Every other right we have is only as real as our willingness to fight for it.No one gave them to us.Somewhere along the line our ancestors fought and sometimes died for them and they are not rights more like something we take and keep by force because the first time you let someone there is someone out there willing to take it from you.To me a right is something were entitled to which is basically nothing.earn it,fight for it or quit whining because you don't have it.Government doesn't give you rights but they will take them from you if they can so they weren't a right after all.They were just lunch money no one had gotten around to punking you out of.