Map basics

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
OK I'll switch my antique Garmin 276C to decimals. Is that the format that's commonly used now?

I don't know what it's like now, but at that time that was a very remote spot. I saw no evidence that anyone had been on that road for many years. I'm interested in seeing it on your map. I'll do that later. Are you at all familiar with that region?

I hadn't been paying attention and had never drove that way before, tho I'd been in the Barrens hundreds of times. I didn't know where I was, nor was my GPS map (Garmin 176 I think - or maybe it was the old Garmin 2+) any help except to show me the coordinates and which way to Rt. 72 - or was that the NJ road map I had? To make matters worse the lighter-charger in the rented car didn't work and I had no spare batteries so I couldn't leave my GPS on to mark my route. I had almost nothing with me (in my own vehicle i carry a ton of emergency gear).

The next day - dark and threatening to storm - I started hiking out using my compass (an amazing new invention that points north and doesn't even require batteries!) and I hiked out carefully marking each turn I made on the sandy roads the best I could with a stick in the sand which the looming heavy rain would have washed away, but there were no rocks, and i never got to use the marks anyway. I had a cell phone but there was no reception, except once when I climbed a hill and managed to reach 911 after numerous tries. I wanted to ask if they could send in a tow truck if I gave my GPS coordinates, but the man I reached, before the phone quickly cut out again didn't even know what I was talking about. I didn't even get as far as telling him my goofily formatted coordinates. GPS was still pretty rare at that time and most people didn't even know what it was.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The manual for the GPSMap 276c is here. See page 84, Garmin calls it the "location format" on this device

You should set it to whatever format you find the most familiar. However, if you are trying to find locations with modern mapping software (like Google, Bing, NJPB Maps or my site) then decimal degrees are a lot easier to work with. The idea of hours, minutes and seconds makes sense conceptually but makes data entry more difficult.

Yes, I have been to that location, but not recently. I like that whole area. I don't go anywhere now, am quite content to just stay in my own hideaway in the Pines where I can step out the back door and wander all I like without ever ever getting into a car or seeing anyone else. :)

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I no longer have access to Garmin maps on my computer except for a very basic Mapsource, so I can't change the coordinate formatting on it, but I'll do it on my GPS.

It still looks the same in there, remote as ever, and there's the air force bombing range I walked through on my way to Rt 72 ("All persons are strictly forbidden to enter!"...but I was actually hoping some MP's would come by in a jeep!....the towtruck kid later barreled right through it too...I was afraid he'd refuse when we got to the big warning signs on 72, but I guess it wasn't active by then. It was called Coyle Airport in 1949. Back in the late 60's and 70's I still used to see bombers flying around.

" I don't go anywhere now, am quite content to just stay in my own hideaway in the Pines where I can step out the back door and wander all I like without ever ever getting into a car or seeing anyone else. :) "

That sounds so great! How are the ticks down there these days? That's the one thing I came to hate there. I had so many of them on me, in me. I used to dip a rag into my VW filler cap and put a little gasoline on them and they'd wiggle right out. I know they said not to do that but that was the best way I ever found. Ugh! The only outdoor thing I'm scared of, ticks! How about the whippoorwills and the frogs, some sounds of the Pines that i remember the most!

Some old pictures: Canoeing in the Barrens, spring of 1981, and an "ultralight" backpacking trip in the Plains, 1972...looks like I was the guy carrying both our stuff!... and my good old VW in 1975...it went through the sand way better than that low slung rented car..."All persons are strictly forbidden to drive this car off of paved roads!"...but I don't have any photos from that misadventure!)

Attachments

Last edited:

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The ticks are never bad at my place in August, but the chiggers can be terrible. However (if you have followed the discussion here) we now know that there really aren't any chiggers in the Pines! What we've all mistakenly called chiggers are actually Lone Star Tick Nymphs. They itch just as much, all the same.

Permethrin is what you need for ticks. Applied correctly, they aren't a problem. But you need to follow the instructions exactly, treat clothes in advance and give them plenty of time to dry. This is the stuff to use

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I don't remember hearing about chiggers back when I used to go down there, just ticks, and the cute tiny little baby ticks that you can hardly even see. One time we were camping out for a couple of days at the site of the vanished town of Mount. It was beautiful weather and we were lying around on the ground and grass. Our bodies were covered with ticks and we never even felt them.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
The ticks are never bad at my place in August, but the chiggers can be terrible. However (if you have followed the discussion here) we now know that there really aren't any chiggers in the Pines! What we've all mistakenly called chiggers are actually Lone Star Tick Nymphs. They itch just as much, all the same.

Permethrin is what you need for ticks. Applied correctly, they aren't a problem. But you need to follow the instructions exactly, treat clothes in advance and give them plenty of time to dry. This is the stuff to use

Never heard about that back then, just DEET. Permethrin was only discovered 1n 1973. I don't know when it became commonly available. It says it's banned in Canada.

What's the currently recommended method of removing ticks? I never had any luck with the gently twist them out clockwise or counterclockwise method - and when they started making gas tanks on cars that you couldn't dip a rag into I was pretty much at their mercy. They know just where to go, straight for the most inaccessible and out of the way spots, the groin area. behind the ear, under the belt, armpit. I hate them.