Marcescence

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
New word for me Marcescence

Marcescence is most obvious in deciduous trees that retain leaves through the winter. Several trees normally have marcescent leaves such as oak (Quercus), beech (Fagus) and hornbeam (Carpinus), or marcescent stipules as in some but not all species of willows (Salix).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I got me one of them forestry degrees and I never heard it either! Or perhaps I forgot it after 35 years, never having had reason to use it. Speaking mostly to English-speaking people my whole career, I got by calling them "trees that held their leaves all winter" :D

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I got me one of them forestry degrees and I never heard it either! Or perhaps I forgot it after 35 years, never having had reason to use it. Speaking mostly to English-speaking people my whole career, I got by calling them "trees that held their leaves all winter" :D

I believe you and I went to the same college German (me Cook '81) and I never heard the word either. I do however remember the pointers in dendrology field classes, since I took it in winter, that persistent leaves were discussed as a quick indicator for white oak and beech.

I noticed this alleged spring that the white oak leaves in my yard are long gone. They have been torn away by the heavy snow and high winds from the back to back Nor'easters. In a normal year, I have seen the leaves stay on until they are pushed off by the new ones.

Reactions: manumuskin

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I believe you and I went to the same college German (me Cook '81) and I never heard the word either. I do however remember the pointers in dendrology field classes, since I took it in winter, that persistent leaves were discussed as a quick indicator for white oak and beech.

I noticed this alleged spring that the white oak leaves in my yard are long gone. They have been torn away by the heavy snow and high winds from the back to back Nor'easters. In a normal year, I have seen the leaves stay on until they are pushed off by the new ones.

Just a hair before me. I was '82 but I stayed a year longer after some slight curriculum tweaking. I do often miss the smell of pig in the morning. A hell of a lot better than that Squibb smell! :)