Mauricetown/Heislerville Birding

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Hey, they're on the fringe the Pines...
Ro & I went down to Heislerville . We stopped for gas at the Rte 47/Mauricetown Rd WaWa. Attendant saw Ro’s big lens & camera, asked if we were down birding. We said “yes”. Attendant said he lived nearby; that “they” pit up temporary bleachers on the Maurice River bridge for bird watches when the Purple Martins come thru. I'd never heard that, found it interesting.
P.S. W edidn't see the Little Egret fron Europe/Africa photographed at Heislerville a few days ago; first ever appearance recorded in NJ.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Don't get me started on WaWa. I am actively boycotting WaWa and will buy nothing form their stores and would rather push my truck than buy their gas. I will, however, use their restrooms, ONLY if I can't find a tree or dumpster to pee behind.

As far as the WaWa at 47 and Mauricetown Rd. If I remember correctly there's a gas station / mini mart across the road that used to sell burgers, fries etc. I used to stop there for lunch on occasion when I worked down there (pre WaWa). I miss those days and that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014

It doesn't make sense to me to support a community that doesn't want you there in the first place.

And yes, I fully understand that WaWa's profits go back to Pennsyltucky but they do provide some jobs to the locals.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Be careful down there; the police are ticketing cars parked on the shoulder. Apparently the locals complained about the birders; last weekend was the 'world series' event.

The Martins are a big event, but it is in the evening when they go to roost.

http://www.capemaytimes.com/birds/purple-martins.htm
I ride Mauricetown Birdge almost every day.I don't recall any signs along side the road telling you you can't park there? I will check next time I head to Wawa..I know there is a peregrine Falcon visible often in the dead cedars at the east (wawa) end of the marsh.Of course I have named him Elvis.I have seen him there for about five years now though one of those years I didn't see him.He is usually on the south side of the road but sometimes the north.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Don't get me started on WaWa. I am actively boycotting WaWa and will buy nothing form their stores and would rather push my truck than buy their gas. I will, however, use their restrooms, ONLY if I can't find a tree or dumpster to pee behind.

As far as the WaWa at 47 and Mauricetown Rd. If I remember correctly there's a gas station / mini mart across the road that used to sell burgers, fries etc. I used to stop there for lunch on occasion when I worked down there (pre WaWa). I miss those days and that area.
That store across the road used to be called Campbells.It is now two stores,one is a pizza joint,plus the gas station.You can get propane there as well.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It doesn't make sense to me to support a community that doesn't want you there in the first place.

Whelp, its not directed at all that enjoy birding, just the inconsiderate ones. If you have never been to a popular birding spot during the time it is 'hot', you can't understand, some are very inconsiderate. I enjoy birding and totally understand the frustration of the locals. The well written post from a birding site that brought this to light; the author shall remain anonymous;

"A week or so ago I was stopped along Matt's Landing rd getting a feel for the shorebird locations in the main pool when a local cop stopped by and asked me if i could read.

My car was running and I was in it but the new signs on the telephone pole poles ask to Please Park in designated areas. He let me know that the locals were tired of dodging cars and birders and that they (the cops)would begin ticketing.

I apologized and immediately went to the parking area.

With the upcoming WSB and still a month left of excellent shorebirding I think it's important we put our best foot forward and not park, or dilly dally along Matt's Landing rd. At the end of Matts Landing is a Bait and tackle shop and there were some locals outside watching this episode. Their patience with us in their hood may be fast dwindling and it would be a horror to lose this spot.

Aside from following the parking rules I think stopping in the tackle shop and making a purchase (chips, soda) may be a nice Olive Branch to offer. Make sure you're wearing your bins if you do go in...we need the brownie points!"

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My Dad used to hang out at that Marina when i was a kid .He was firneds with the owner,back in the 70's.I spent many an hour crabbing and snake hunting up and down those dykes.
I thought you were referring to Muskrat Run (the road over Mauricetown Bridge.It's called that because of all the rat nests visible in winter.
The locals probably look at birders like they look at Shoobies.Yes they've been tired of them for a very long time.That is the ones that aren't making a dollar off of them.

Reactions: Menantico

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Whelp, its not directed at all that enjoy birding, just the inconsiderate ones. If you have never been to a popular birding spot during the time it is 'hot', you can't understand, some are very inconsiderate. I enjoy birding and totally understand the frustration of the locals. The well written post from a birding site that brought this to light; the author shall remain anonymous;

"A week or so ago I was stopped along Matt's Landing rd getting a feel for the shorebird locations in the main pool when a local cop stopped by and asked me if i could read.

My car was running and I was in it but the new signs on the telephone pole poles ask to Please Park in designated areas. He let me know that the locals were tired of dodging cars and birders and that they (the cops)would begin ticketing.

I apologized and immediately went to the parking area.

With the upcoming WSB and still a month left of excellent shorebirding I think it's important we put our best foot forward and not park, or dilly dally along Matt's Landing rd. At the end of Matts Landing is a Bait and tackle shop and there were some locals outside watching this episode. Their patience with us in their hood may be fast dwindling and it would be a horror to lose this spot.

Aside from following the parking rules I think stopping in the tackle shop and making a purchase (chips, soda) may be a nice Olive Branch to offer. Make sure you're wearing your bins if you do go in...we need the brownie points!"

Whelp?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
'Whelp' means different things to different folks; take your pick :) But in my post it did not refer to any person. ;)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Whelp, I say whelp all the time.
I never thought of it as slang but that is apparently what it is.

I've used that word to say "well" in slang, but I believe the spelling of the slang, which I've seen in some of the westerns I've read, is 'walp'. The spelling 'whelp' is used to designate the young of some carnivores, like dogs. People would borrow that meaning to describe young humans; "why you little whelp, I'll tan your hide".

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I always though it was a contraction of "Well, Um" that just comes out sounding like whelp or walp due to how fast someone is speaking or the amount of Jersey drawl in their voice.