Medford Canoe Trail

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
I think that link is now dead (at least for me it is), but I read about that in the paper a week or so ago. Good stuff!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Here is a new link about the trail.

Thank you, very informative. Nice little plan & concept. Kudos to those folks. I will try it next season. looks like a little research is in order to detect off days. Seems it could get a little busy. Definately on my list though as a just for fun run.

g.

Mar 1, 2008
when i canoed down this stream, i found that the ground underneath the stream appeared to be made of many small rocks, but when i picked a few of them up they crumbled apart in my hands. i assume that the ground beneath the stream is actually made of dirt or maybe clay?

this was right in downtown medford, just south of the library, near the large lake.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We kayaked this trail on Sunday afternoon. We put in at Gill Road and took out at Kirby's Mill. They don't want you to drive down to the water at Gill Road so you must carry your canoe about 500 feet. The put in at Coates looks easier but all of the banks are steep. We parked across from Kirby's Mill but later found out that they want you on the grass further up the street. We read this on a board when we were taking out, but since we didn't put in there we never saw it.
There are houses on both banks and lots of ducks and geese with the associated mess. My kayak is upside down awaiting a rain.

Christianed my new canoe on this one about a year and a half ago. Nice run, but there was one really bad blow down between Gill Rd and Coates Rd that was a pain to get over/around. Don't know if they've managed to clean it up since then.

Saw more wildlife than I would have expected, including a beaver that swam pretty close. We thought it might be a dog or cat until it smacked its tail on the water. Some turkey vultures came in really close, and a bunch of birds I couldn't identify.

http://southjerseytrails.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/medfordcanoetrail/

Also, there was talk (at least a few years ago) of the same group trying to open it up down through Lumberton next, and eventually all the way down to the Delaware. That would be awesome. Source: http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/intotheoutside/tag/medford-canoe-trail/