Medford Lakes Canoe is MIA

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
:siren: The Medford Lakes Canoe is not there, it is gone. This canoe, that MarkBNJ gave us a picture of, in now MIA. This relic of the 1000 year flood in not with us anymore. I went past this site on Friday, April 10, 2009, at 2:00 PM and it was lying on the ground, I was on Lenape Trail the next morning at 8:00 AM and there were no signs of this fine vessel. Over the years there have been many nautical articles placed in its hull, like a minnow bucket, life vest, a mushroom anchor and various and sundry items. It is now past history. How will Medford Lakes exist without it's canoe. I thought that when the Settler's Inn burned down that the borough would collaspe but now since it's canoe is gone I am sure that this is the end.The picture shows you where it was wrapped around the tree.

Attachments

• Med.lk canoe.jpg
    Med.lk canoe.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 404

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm a former Medford Lakes resident myself. Personally I decided the end had come when they passed a leash law for cats :happycat: The big flood came the next year...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now we see that even things that are nailed down go missing in the pines. There certainly will be more.

Guy

Alarm, alarm!

:siren: Our historic items are being taken by brigands unknown! Our historic reminder of the Great Flood (appoligies to Noah), has joined the ranks of items of interest ranging from socks in the dryer, to misplaced property monuments like a cornacopeal black hole in the tradition of the Bermuda Triangle! And this at an economic time when our dear brethren in Trenton cannot fiscally come to our rescue! It is the End of Days! What is next - hoards of unkempt rolling over us on the way to abuse wildlife in the coastal areas? (Summer is upon us! Beware the Shoeby!) We must protect and defend our Barrens with our Names, Our Fortunes, and our most Sacred Honor! (Okay, two out of three?) How about next time we put a few ramsets into the hull and post the land?:guinness:

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Well Boyd as far as the leash law for cats , i'm all for it only for people who have an abundance of these nuisance animals, they spray and stink everything up. Now the Canoe is a different story, I have an antique canoe I purchased from the outdoor trader in medford in the early 70's and it is still floating and takin on fish! Old canoes don't die they just float away

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
:siren: Our historic items are being taken by brigands unknown! Our historic reminder of the Great Flood (appoligies to Noah), has joined the ranks of items of interest ranging from socks in the dryer, to misplaced property monuments like a cornacopeal black hole in the tradition of the Bermuda Triangle! And this at an economic time when our dear brethren in Trenton cannot fiscally come to our rescue! It is the End of Days! What is next - hoards of unkempt rolling over us on the way to abuse wildlife in the coastal areas? (Summer is upon us! Beware the Shoeby!) We must protect and defend our Barrens with our Names, Our Fortunes, and our most Sacred Honor! (Okay, two out of three?) How about next time we put a few ramsets into the hull and post the land?:guinness:

Hear, hear!

Glo

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Canoe

I know some people that should be on a leash, even beyond the Medford Lakes borders. That wasn't nice, but I am only human.

War does not determine who is right--only who is left.

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
How disappointing. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to stumble upon that sight last year when I did. I thought it was the coolest thing. Definitely one of those "why didn't I bring my camera" moments.

Eli

Apr 13, 2008
Medford Lakes
The canoe is not missing, my friend saw a volunteer removing it. I think it the lag screw that held it to the tree tore through.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The canoe is not missing, my friend saw a volunteer removing it. I think it the lag screw that held it to the tree tore through.

Thanks for the info. I wonder when it is going back up? What kind of volunteer?

Guy

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
coat hangers

And remember folks: single socks are the larval stage of wire coat hangers!

:D :D :D

Best regards,
Jerseyman

A few years ago I got rid of my wire coat hangers. I replaced them with wooden and with sturdy plastic hangers. The day after I did this I needed a wire hanger to retrive a clothing item that fell behind the washer. I didn't have one so I had to move the washer. Several weeks later I needed to dislodge something from the sink trap, I always used wire hangers to do this task. I would always unwind a wire hanger and use the hook end for a tool or use a straight end for a probing device. As a kid, many years ago, we would use wire coat hangers to make slingshots. I don't think that I was good enough to hit something but we did fantisize a lot. I now keep a few wire hangers in the garage for multi use purposes.

Thanks for the reminder,

TR

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I now keep a few wire hangers in the garage for multi use purposes. TR

So do we. My husband can create all kinds of handy gizmos from a wire coat hanger. I borrowed one for a story about a house in the Pines--it was a device for unlocking those old interior door locks when you've lost the key. I think he developed his talent over years of using safety wire on the airplanes he repairs. (FAA approved, I hasten to add.)

But I didn't know about the missing link: single-sock ---> wire-hangar. Thanks, Jerseyman. Amazing what you can learn from history. :)

Glo

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
So do we. My husband can create all kinds of handy gizmos from a wire coat hanger. I borrowed one for a story about a house in the Pines--it was a device for unlocking those old interior door locks when you've lost the key. I think he developed his talent over years of using safety wire on the airplanes he repairs. (FAA approved, I hasten to add.)

But I didn't know about the missing link: single-sock ---> wire-hangar. Thanks, Jerseyman. Amazing what you can learn from history. :)

Glo

Skeleton key comes to mind. I remember them in my grandparents house. Strange name, I wonder where it came from.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_key