Mercury

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I was reading today that the bass and pickerel in the pine lands area have higher levels of mercury and stronger warnings about eating them, than other areas of NJ. I was surprised to read this. Anyone know why the pine lands would have higher mercury levels?

Lorun

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Not sure, but I did read where lawn chemicals are getting into the rivers. Do they have Mercury in them?

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The high level of mercury in pinebarrrens chain pickerel have significantly reduced my consumption of the fish. I used to always eat my sizable catches but I have since had to change my ways due to this health concern.

The fact is the bass and pickerel in the pine barrens have higher mercury levels than other parts of the state (as you mentioned) the reason is somewhat speculative. Mercury contamination can occur from a point source, like a factory or lawn pollutants, but can also be transmitted through the atmostphere. Atmostpheric transmission of mercury is most likely the cause behind pine barren contamination. Nothern, industrial NJ, is more likely a point source and atmostpheric combination.

The theory as to why mercury is higher in the pine barrens is based on two factors. 1) the chemistry of the water in the pine barrens is more condusive to store high levels of mercury. 2) the food source of the pickerel and bass contain higher levels of mercury...sunfish to the north (blue gill and pumkin seeds) grow larger than pinebarrens sunfish varieties (blackbanded, spahgum, blue spotted). The older the fish, the greater the levels of mercury since mercury levels are cumlative and don't degenerate. The northern variety of sunfish, by the time they reach, say, 3 years old are too large for many game fish. But in the pinebarren variety sunfish, at 3 years old they are still relatively small and prime fish for consumption by pickerel and bass. Not to mention, pinebarren chainsides are real bad asses and will eat fish nearly a 3rd their own size. So our game fish our consuming older fish, which contain more mercury due to their age. So consequently our game fish have higher mercury levels.

Hope this wasn't too boring.

Jeff

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Very informative. Thanks.

I am kind of depressed thinking about it. If the water in the pines is this polluted, what is safe to eat. What a long way we have to reverse the sins of the past.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Good stuff, Jeff. What's another name for a chainside?

Chainside is another name for chain pickerel. I have also heard pineys just call them pike, which is fair enough since real pike (northern pike) are pretty infrequent in the pines (they might be in a few lakes). Pickerel are, of course, part of the pike family. I think down south they call them Jackfish, but I never heard that name used up here.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very informative. Thanks.

I am kind of depressed thinking about it. If the water in the pines is this polluted, what is safe to eat. What a long way we have to reverse the sins of the past.

I would not say the pines water is polluted at all. I don't know what else to say about that then to say that my definition of polluted does not fit our water at all.