metal fence post?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
i will try to get a couple of pics that are better. the suggested wet and see if chalk comes up better than the crayon/wax rubbing.

I'll have to ask the wife if she spoke to the seller about it or where it may have come from when she purchased it.

Thanks for the effort. As you can see, we are easily amused!

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
No, it really doesn't have to be from Jersey. Know what I find even odder? That we still bury our dead in concrete vaults and oak caskets with velvet lining on the inside. Tell you the truth George, I think cemetaries are a waste of land, and not worth saving beyond, say, 100 years. I vote for rotating cemetary land. You buy the right to bury your loved one's ashes or remains in a simple pine box. You are also allowed a temporary tombstone. After 100 years the land is abandonded as a cemetary, the stone is removed and recycled, and the land preserved forever as simple open space.

I agree that they are a waste of effort as far as the elaborate coffins and vaults. I think bodies should be returned to the earth in simple boxes also.
Maybe stacking in family plots instead of side by side would help save some land.
I disagree with removing headstones though. They are a great source of historical information. I love the feeling of history in the air when I go into a cemetery, especially one that members of my family are in.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Maybe stacking in family plots instead of side by side would help save some land.

Thats a pretty good idea I never thought of. Here in Lacey township, the town fathers are starting a fight with the Pinelands Commission. They want to put a cemetary just west of the parkway on land zoned Forest (according to the Pinelands Comprehensive Management Plan). Personnally, I don't think the town should even be involved in this business. Let the market take care of it. They did snake studies on the area, but since the fence traps were torn down (allegedly by ATV"s), they said the study was inconclusive.