Metal Markers on Batona

VTowner

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Visit site
Wow, this board's been slow.

Along the same lines as the "Stick Shelters" post, I have a question about some metal makers that I saw when walking the Batona between Carranza and Apple Pie. If memory serves, if you're walking toward Apple Pie Hill, they're after the last foot bridge and before you get to the ridge (you know that piece of high ground that you kind of have to climb up?)

They're trapezoids and appear to be made of aluminum, and they're nailed to trees in a very straight line perpendicular to the trail. They don't appear to be blazes because there's not really a trail to get to them, and the line that they make is very straight and goes way back into the woods in both directions. I've tried to follow them, but it's tough going.

Originally I thought that they might mark the end of Wharton, but most of the time when you go in or out of the State Forest there are written warnings and I think that the entire area is Wharton. Then I thought that maybe they mark the town line between Tabernacle and Woodland Twp, but I don't know why they would care about that either.

Any other ideas?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looking at the map from below, you can see that the only boundary lines are the Wharton line about three quarters of a mile West of Apple Pie Hill, and the Woodland township line just East of Apple Pie Hill. So more detective work is needed to figure this one out. Can you get a photograph of them? If it is close to Apple Pie Hill, it probally is the Wharton line.

Guy

Map1.jpg

VTowner

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Visit site
It doesn't seem like the markers are that close to the hill, although it could be deceiving I suppose. It looks like the Wharton line is real close to the to the bottom of the hill, according to the elevation lines on your map, and I remember the markers being further away than that. I'll probably be there this weekend and I'll write back with more detailed information.