Miller's Bog Road Crossing

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The road across Miller's Bog (a.k.a. Ancora Bogs) is ready to blow. The beavers have been out of control for the last few years back here. They are now plugging the vertical outflow weir structures forcing water to find a path underground along the sides of the large diameter pipes that convey all of the Pump Branch beneath the roadway. I ran the dogs tonight but I kept them out of the water from here on out because the underground movement looks like it is causing the road to reach the point of failure. A huge silt plume has appeared on the downstream side which is the dirt being transported beneath the road that is circumventing the pipes.

The State rebuilt the crossing about 20 years ago and it seems that time is up. The road sees a lot of traffic during waterfowl and deer seasons and a lot of horse traffic from a horse farm to the south. Within the last two days, a truck tire dropped into the edge of the sinkhole but managed to escape. A major storm event or just a little bit of passing time is going to yield a total failure.

I have emailed a State employee and member of this site to let her know what I am seeing.

The location is here:
ANCORA Noname.jpg

These are from tonight's dog run.
IMG_2414.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG

The silt plume.
IMG_2416.JPG

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Wow. It might be too late but contact the FFS in Mays Landing. They might want to investigate before it's another Burnt Mill Road

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wow. It might be too late but contact the FFS in Mays Landing. They might want to investigate before it's another Burnt Mill Road
Will do John. I haven't heard back from my other contact yet.
I may have to take up beaver trapping. They have also destroyed a huge expanse of white cedar in the last two seasons just downstream of the road crossing. 330 body grippers scare the hell out of me though. Always thinking about dogs.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Will do John. I haven't heard back from my other contact yet.
I may have to take up beaver trapping. They have also destroyed a huge expanse of white cedar in the last two seasons just downstream of the road crossing. 330 body grippers scare the hell out of me though. Always thinking about dogs.
They are scary. The beavers are changing the looks of locks bridge too.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Couldn't you set the traps underwater in the lodge entrance? A bit inconvenient,you'd probably get wet but it would keep dogs out of it.
Body Grippers have to be set below the water with your trap tag visible above the water Al.
A lot of trappers find an active path where they are coming up and down the bank and set that just below the water surface. Scary but legal.

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Believe me, beaver are killing many thousands of cedars where I roam. In addition, the flooding is creating stagnant water that breeds mosquitos. Is it time for a petition? Do we want to ask the Pinelands Commission and DEP to start reversing this trend? After all, we want our old Pine Barrens streams back. No dams, no cut brush, no dead cedars, no slack water!

stagnant.JPG

Reactions: Wildland937

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is it time for a petition? Do we want to ask the Pinelands Commission and DEP to start reversing this trend? After all, we want our old Pine Barrens streams back. No dams, no cut brush, no dead cedars, no slack water!

They are worrying about too many other things that are not as important.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Body Grippers have to be set below the water with your trap tag visible above the water Al.
A lot of trappers find an active path where they are coming up and down the bank and set that just below the water surface. Scary but legal.
I know you can set trails where they come in and out but much of the old Trapper literature I have read describe them also setting traps in the entrance tunnels to the lodge.Perhaps thats illegal now?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder if this is a coordinated campaign started by the Beavers of Webs Mill. It has all the marking of their work :eek: As far as killing Cedars Bob, have you been past White bridge in Dbl Trbl? The barricade is now gone. An army of Beaver could not do the damage the DEP has back there. Cut, stacked and left. Gives new meaning to clear-cut.

164034669.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dogg57

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yes, I think they contracted that out after Sandy blew them all down.

Sandy blew some down, not all. They were concerned with folks walking Dbl Trbl Rd. There are some down in other stands within the park and fortunately no clear-cut there. Why they took them all down at this location when all that was needed was cutting back 20-30 feet on either side of the road beats me. But then to waste them as they did by leaving them there, what a shame.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Our friend Turtle here on this website was able to get to the right people quickly. The road has been temporarily closed and there is a formal announcement on the parks and forestry website under Wharton state forest . If someone was driving on this road and it collapsed, it could have been catastrophic if their vehicle rolled to the downstream side. Hopefully it will be repaired quickly. it is an important link for the forest fire guys as well.
Thank you smoke jumper for your help as well !

Cherokee261

Scout
Aug 6, 2015
Medford Lakes
I received the following in an email this morning from the DEP:

Please be advised that due to a partial road failure along the embankment near Ancora Bogs (west Wharton), park and forest fire staff have initiated emergency repairs including the replacement of 2 culvert pipes.

Until further notice this road is closed to the public.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This will likely be a very expensive repair. The substantial flow of the Punp Branch a.k.a. Albertson Branch will have to be managed by construction of a coffer dam and bypass pumping or constructing a temporary relief channel. The vertical difference between the bog and the lower stream make it challenging.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The state needs to be more concerned about the problems that beavers are causing. We just can just let them work freely without some sort of control. They have ruined so many streams.