Millville bears

B

bach2yoga

Some of you may remember that several months ago, when someone had posted what they thought might be bear scat, that I had heard something about confirmed bear sightings in south jersey, before the official announcement came out.

I have finally found out more about those sightings. Jane Galletto, of Citizens United and of US Fish and Wildlife, confirmed those sightings. There were 3 sightings in MILLVILLE, Menantico Ponds.

There was a sighting by a botanist, a track in the snow that was photographed near the pond, and a hunter Jane knows who had a camera on his stand got a photo of a mother and cub, also near the Menantico Pond.

Renee

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
Between my father and I, we have 80+ years of hunting in the woods of Cumberland Co. and we have never seen a Bear or a Bobcat, if there`s Bears in Cumberland Co. ....I`d bet NJ Game and Fish is behind it. :bear:

B

bach2yoga

davensj said:
Between my father and I, we have 80+ years of hunting in the woods of Cumberland Co. and we have never seen a Bear or a Bobcat, if there`s Bears in Cumberland Co. ....I`d bet NJ Game and Fish is behind it. :bear:

I have a friend who is a naturalist who has seen tracks on occasion for a number of years in Peaslee, not very far away.

sweetz34

Jun 24, 2004
Galloway,NJ
I found what I thought was bear scat on a trail in my woods in Galloway Twp back in March and I was told 2 neighbors sighted a bear crossing a road not far from my house 4 weeks ago. I wouldnt mind them here at all,although they might scare my horses. We moved here 1 yr ago from LBI and I just love the wildlife. We have deer,fox,wild turkey,lizards,tons of frogs in my pond,turtles,pine snakes,hawks,and I spotted my first Bald eagle, what an awesome sight. The only thing I have to get used to is the large variety of bugs :(

Erika

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
In 1960 my family used to stay weekends at a remote cabin in the Poconos & we would occasionally see a bear. We were on 200 acres surrounded by a 500 - 600 acre YMCA camp. Today the camp is a housing development & all the forrest around those 200 acres is gone. This county is always first or second in the number of bear harvested during Penna's bear season. It was about ten miles to the Delaware River so as the bear population grew, they started swimming to NJ.

In 1977 I used to backpack in the Poconos. I only saw one bear BUT we saw alot of scat.

By the late 90's, my In-laws in Jeferson Twsp had stories of the nightly bear problems just like their neighbors in West Milford.

Black Bears range over a good size area [20-30 square miles] if they have not turned to eating at garbage cans, etc. You could possibly see a bear every 3 - 4 days as it circles it's territory except you come & go too so you'll see more signs than bears unless you have a dumpster that you keep full all the time.

A Penna. hunter shot a new potential record bear last season. Estimated to be over 800 lbs. It was in Stroud Township, a real populated area close to the water gap & it was shot while gorging at the local garbage dump.

There should be a good 10- 15 years before it gets that bad in the pines...

B

bach2yoga

it was in yesterday's paper that they have had more than 5 sightings in Egg Harbor City, Weymouth furnace, etc.