Minnelola (Mineola) River

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Charles F. Green, in his short work, "Pleasant Mills, New Jersey; Lake Nescochague: A Place of Olden Days", states that the Lenape called the Mullica "Mineola", and relates a supposed true story of a battle on the river (possibly at Blood Point?) between Lenape and Iroquois warriors. As the tale goes, the Lenape, because of their pacifism, had gained themselves a reputation for being cowards. The Iroquois had begun to raid Lenape farms and hunting grounds without fear of retaliation, until one day when a Lenape hunting party encountered a band of Iroquois near the river and killed all but one Iroquois who jumped into the river and lived to tell his people that the Lenape were no cowards at all.

Could any of this be true?

I've read that the Leeds tribe on the South of the river and the Manahawkin tribe on the north side were hostile to each other. Perhaps this is an embellished memory of a battle between these neighboring tribes?

With no source material, alls I gots is guesswork.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Don't know much about that Gabe, though I did hear the Lenape did not take any sass from some of the other tribes. By the way, in looking at the maps, the Bass is also a parent river? And, I was very surprised to note that the stream running through Stockton State College also enters the Mullica. NJ wonders never cease to amaze me.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bob, I suppose that depends on how you define "parent river". The Bass is a relatively big tributary of the Mullica, but much smaller than its neighbor the Wading.

The tributaries coming in from the South side of the Mullica don't get the recognition they deserve. Lots of history on your Moss (Morse) Mill Stream that passes through Stockton College.