Miss Daisy L. Jenkins

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I am sad to report that Richland lost Daisy Lee Jenkins on March 1, 2011 at age 101. It takes a village to raise a child, and “Miss Daisy,” as she was affectionately called, played her role well. She watched after a great many children in this farming community. She loved to cook, sew, and fish, and chew tobacco. Miss Daisy was Church Mother at the First Baptist Church of Richland, which she helped build. Her annual barbecue helped pioneer the Pinelands culinary tradition carried on by her extended family (Uncle Dewey, the Duke, Kingfish). She was also my neighbor, and will be fondly remembered.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry to hear that Spung-man. She sounds like she was an interesting person.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
didn't know you were from richland spung man! I worked at richland glass for 16 years and used to do their lunch runs to the store connected to the post office.I also made rins to Archie's General store,his wife Antoinette also worked at Richland.
Al

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Richland, an Ethnic Archipelago

didn't know you were from richland spung man!

Yes, I grew up between Richland and Milmay in an area know as Buckhorn, settled by Swiss Germans during the 1880s. That is why I’m so passionate about things Pine Barrens, which don’t end at the Mullica’s banks. There’s wonderful Pinelands cultural and environmental resources in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Camden Counties that deserve better recognition. Miss Daisy was one such treasure!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes, I grew up between Richland and Milmay in an area know as Buckhorn, settled by Swiss Germans during the 1880s. That is why I’m so passionate about things Pine Barrens, which don’t end at the Mullica’s banks. There’s wonderful Pinelands cultural and environmental resources in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Camden Counties that deserve better recognition. Miss Daisy was one such treasure!

In my opinion the purtiest stretch of open pine woods in south jersey resides on the millville /maurice river twp line.Also our cedar swamps down here need take second place to none.The only thing is our true pine barrens type habitats are mere fragments for the most part with hardwood swamps dominating the lowlands and oak woods the uplands but their still legitimate barrens typ habitats.We really have no pitch pine lowlands habitats that I know of and of course no Pine Plains at allWe do have some nice spungs though and of course quite a variety of non barrens habitats such as Bear Swamp and the extensive salt marshes down near the Bay.
Al

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I cared for Miss Daisy many times. She was loved by everyone who came in contact with her. She loved pig feet and pork rinds. She gnawed on that till the very end. A very special lady who will always be missed.