Mobile Atlas Creator on MacOS Catalina

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Finally got around to installing Java and MOBAC on my new Mac which is running Catalina. Couldn't get it to work and didn't find any help with Google searches. I have a feeling that it just isn't compatible. Has anyone else gotten Mobile Atlas Creator working under MacOS Catalina?

I finally gave up and installed it on a MacOS Sierra virtual machine. No problems there using the same version of MOBAC and Java. I am starting to wonder whether it's worth continuing to support downloadable maps and Mobile Atlas Creator. :( But I am now working on a mobile version of boydsmaps online which will offer some of the functions of a handheld gps on your phone.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I run it on Catalina. Full screen shot.

cat 2.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have 2.1.2 MOBAC. Still working on finding Java info.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I do not have a java Control Panel. I can't find any info.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I still have no idea. However, if I go to AboutStartMobac it says Java Version 1.0

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am looking to buy the new mini with the Apple chip. I have concerns about this program not working. I know Virtualbox won't work so I may have to still keep this computer or use my wife's really old Windows laptop for the two programs I use on that platform.

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Should be at the bottom of the system preferences window. I tried with version 2.1.0 which works under Sierra on my old MacBook Air. It crashes with a different error. :argh:

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 11.00.56 AM.png

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I would worry that MOBAC won't work on the M1 Mini, it would have to be compatible with Rosetta since I'm sure nobody is likely to update it anytime soon. I am using a 2018 Mini now. The M1 doesn't interest me, I need Windows and legacy MacOS virtual machines and none of this works on the new M1 Macs.

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That is pretty weird. You can check by opening Terminal and pasting this command into it

ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

This is what I get

jdk1.8.0_271.jdk

I tried version 2.1.2 and it crashed with the same error. Wanted to try some other old versions, but their server stopped responding

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Was able to get 2.1.0 from a mirror source. Same crash there. Only difference in my system is that I am still on MacOS 10.15.4. There were a lot of problems with 10.15.6 so I did not upgrade. Maybe 10.15.7 is better. But, really, this shouldn't be so hard. Am going to have to give some serious thought as to whether I want to continue offering downloadable maps.

Thanks for taking the time to check though, I appreciate it!

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Couldn't find that but I got version 14.0.2. Same problem. However, if I start it from the terminal, then it works.

java -Xms64m -Xmx1200M -jar Mobile_Atlas_Creator.jar

That is a pain though. Are you able to start it by just double-clicking Mobile_Atlas_Creator.jar? That has always worked for me before.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you able to start it by just double-clicking Mobile_Atlas_Creator.jar? That has always worked for me before.

Yes. It does give a duplicate map error but I just ignore it. I will fix that one day.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks, it works for me as long as I start from terminal, or I can use the virtual machine. That's good enough for now, I just figured out how to load my 2020 map of the pines into Guru Maps on my iPhone for testing. The 12 Pro Max screen sure is tall and skinny! :D

IMG_6900.jpg