More Dirt Preserved !

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bwhahaha...another place to fish :dance:
Thanks Scott! I tresspassed out there maybe seven years ago.Mom lives right up the road.There is an awesome stone out there with G carved on one side and H on the other for Greenwich/Hopewell twp.Plus an old graveyard half of which is hidden in the woods.Several old graveyards out there actually,one with stones right against the foundation of a church which burned down about a year after I poked into it.It was abandoned and seemed to be a black congregation because I found a bunch of Polaroids in the drawer in the pulpit.Weird having graves right up to the foundation,have never seen anything like that before.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
..."Pennsylvania Natural Lands Trust contributed $235,000, which was provided to them through a grant from the Open Space Institute (OSI), funded by the William Penn Foundation."

That is odd.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
..."Pennsylvania Natural Lands Trust contributed $235,000...
That is odd.

"DEP contributed $1,028,000 toward the purchase from the Green Acres State Land Acquisition Program"

I believe that was a major contributing factor to allow hunting, fishing and trapping. Coupled with the fact that it is being rolled into an existing WMA.
Suddenly, my fifty straight years of buying hunting, fishing and trapping licenses and every special permit and stamp ever conceived by NJ F&W doesn't hurt as much.
:)

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
"DEP contributed $1,028,000 toward the purchase from the Green Acres State Land Acquisition Program"

I believe that was a major contributing factor to allow hunting, fishing and trapping. Coupled with the fact that it is being rolled into an existing WMA.
Suddenly, my fifty straight years of buying hunting, fishing and trapping licenses and every special permit and stamp ever conceived by NJ F&W doesn't hurt as much.
God Bless hunters. Sometimes we rub each other wrong but without them NJ would be an asphalt parking lot.Might take up the sport again when I retire and have time,mostly for skins.Hard to get well skinned animals for my buckskin brain tan hobby.Most hunters hack the skins off with a machete.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I mean, don't you think it odd for the PA Natural Lands Trust to contribute to land in NJ?

Looks like PA is the home base Bob.

As the oldest and largest land conservation organization serving eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey, Natural Lands has preserved more than 125,000 acres, including 44 nature preserves totaling more than 23,000 acres. Some 2.5 million people live within five miles of land under the organization’s protection.

Address in Media PA: https://natlands.org/contact/

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

As the oldest and largest land conservation organization serving eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey, Natural Lands has preserved more than 125,000 acres, including 44 nature preserves totaling more than 23,000 acres. Some 2.5 million people live within five miles of land under the organization’s protection.

Address in Media PA: https://natlands.org/contact/

Okay, thanks. Still seems an odd set up.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Their New Jerseys Big Sky country.Ten minutes from home! Lived in Dividing Creek as a kid and had a canoe out there a lot.

I crabbed way out there in Weir Creek and Johnson's Ditch in my own boat for many years starting in 1991.
Before that, when we started dating in 1977, the bride and I rented the leaky wooden boats and crabbed Hollywood Beach and Beaver Dam. They were just up the road a piece from Dividing Creek. Not many people remember Hollywood Beach.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know where Hollywood Beach is.The old road back there was swallowed by the sand hole.Have to get there by boat now. If you go to Weir Creek bridge on Turkey Point road and look to the left you'll see an island out on the marsh.I spent many a day hanging out there with my dog.barn Owls nest out there and you can see them flying around in broad daylight.Some monster deer too/Lot of otter out there as well.Nice big climable maple on the south end that gives a gorgeous view of the area.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Hey Scott can you ID that bark?Looks like red oak leaves on the ground.

My Barkovision was telling me red oak Al when I first viewed the picture yesterday.
The distinct knees also tell me it could be a swamp red oak, Quercus falcata, which does get this far north. I have seen red oaks with knees so really a leaf or acorn would probably confirm.

If I was able to look up higher in the tree I could use Barkovision. If I saw ski trails in the bark, I would stay with red oak.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

I decided to ask them directly to satisfy my curiosity. Here is their answer. They gave me permission to post:

Bob,

Natural Lands was founded in 1953 by a group of birdwatchers led by an unlikely hero, a mild-mannered accountant named Allston Jenkins. Their first conservation success was convincing Gulf Oil to deed 168 acres of prime bird habitat to the City of Philadelphia, foiling plans to fill the area with dredging material from the Schuylkill River. From that urban marshland—now the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge—emerged a conservation organization that would go on to save more than 125,000 acres, to date.

In the early days, the organization’s efforts went where they were needed most… even as far as Florida and Costa Rica!

We began working in New Jersey early on. In 1964, we celebrated the preservation of what was once called “Snow Goose Marsh,” an area of salt water wetlands along the New Jersey coast of Delaware Bay. At that time, nearly 30 percent of the global—and dwindling—population of migratory Greater Snow Geese spent their winters at these marshlands. The fledgling preserve was the result of a donation of several contiguous parcels, the smallest of which was a mere 1.6 acres. Despite its humble beginnings, Glades Wildlife Refuge is now the largest of Natural Lands’ preserves. Its 6,765 acres are the result of nearly five decades of patient, persistent acquisition of adjoining lands. The preserve is now a world-class birding destination with a thriving population of Bald Eagles and is a critical stopover for migratory shore birds.

These days, our area of focus has narrowed to eastern PA and southern NJ. We have long-established roots in those regions, with contacts at many regional grant foundations, municipal governments, and community residents.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Best,

Kirsten Werner
Director of Communications

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Outstanding Bob, thank you.
I will have to get down to the Glades this fall. Looking at aerials, it seems like a lot of improvements at the end of Turkey Point Road have been made.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There is an aluminum observation tower there Scott.They built it of wood first maybe ten years ago and the locals burnt it to the ground within a week.They then rebuilt with aluminum.The bridge is also new.It is an arch about eight feet over the creek.hand line crabbing is now virtually impossible from it but you can get a boat under it no problem.

Reactions: RednekF350