More pine beetle news....

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The damage is pretty severe in some parts of Atlantic County. As I mentioned during the summer, go to Belcoville (Atlantic County Park at Estell Manor) and it's disturbing to see how many big pines have been killed. The most recent PPA newletter had an article about this, was probably written by Amy Karpati who was quoted in the APP article as it raised the same points.

Doesn't seem like there's much we can do, so I guess we just have to get used to it. :(

Last edited:

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Out of curiousity is the concern only that pine trees are going to be dying and it may look unsightly? In my opinion many of the pinelands forest are choked with pine trees, and for the species that I'm familar with this dense forest provides very little benefit. In contrast forest with numerous downed trees, dying trees with a more spaced out forest provides lots of benefit. The dead trees that are standing provide habitat for woodpeckers, the downed trees on the ground provide habitat for snakes, lizards and rodents. Lots of forest here need to be opened up and are too overgrown, if the pine beetle helps this process I'm ok with it. I like the burning idea but that makes too much sense so we won't do it. Also its not like these are bugs that got here unaturally, nature will keep everything in balance, but of course we have to frickin micro manage everything.

But why is it disturbing to see pine trees dying naturally? I could be missing something here about the threat of pine beetles, but a pine tree on the ground provides lots of habitat and benefit to many pinelands species. From my experience there is not enough downed trees because of lack of fire.

Also there is bias on both parties who spoke in the article.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is no doubt we need plenty of good fires out there. Some people may think that is crazy but it is a reality. Nothing is nicer than to go through the woods a few years after a fire and see how much benefit it has done. Obviosuly, there are limits to that though.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yeah one of my favorite areas is down by the scar where the fire was, just a cool looking tract. The people who talk against fires just don't have a clue. They live in a subdivision somewhere and have spent five minutes in the outdoors but have some huge opinion on what is good for the pines.

Reactions: Deleted member 7363