More Railroad shots

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
This is the first year I went deep into the woods, bogs and streams and it seems to be easier in the cold weather to protect against briars and bugs. I am not sure how I am going to deal with heat, chiggers, ticks, flies and skeeters (and still keep my skin intact) once I get back from an impending two week hiatus. In the meantime, here are some more shots of JCRR and Egg Harbor Brick Company.
rr_3.jpg

rr_2.jpg

rr_1.jpg

brick_2.jpg

brick_1.jpg

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The chemical Peremethrin is the best defense against ticks and chiggers. One brand name it goes by is Duranon,another is Permanone but there are several more.It can be bought at many Sporting Goods stores including Dicks also in the Walmart Camping section.Yopu spray it on your clothes and let dry before wearing.It's good through several washings or just sitting for two weeks.The stuff is great but your not supposed to spray on your skin. For flying critters DEETs about the best,especially for Mosquitoes. Have never really found anything for flies.Even if their not biting you their still in your face.Staying still will keep them at bay since they hunt by air currents and visual movement.Staying out of the brush and on wider trails usually keeps flies down. I just look at these annoying critters as the price I pay for entrance into the woods.I pay with cold endurance in winter and slogging through mud in spring.Fall is a freebie, the best time of the year in my opinion.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Thanks Al. I am on my 5th or 6th bottle of Permethrin, which I learned about from you on this site early in the fall. I have Deet too. But staying briarproof is my problem in warm weather. In the winter I just layer on shirts and tough outer layers and cotton duck Carhartt jeans to keep the briars at bay. But even a couple layers of long sleeve shirts cook me medium well when it's over 60 degrees. The shots I want to take all seem to be in, as you said, thick brush. Until the weather turns cold again, maybe I'll try taking some shots on the north end of Brigantine or south end of LBI. Or take photos from a kayak.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
For the flying blood sucking devils, Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Expedition. Best I have found; if it can keep the greenheads away it can keep anything away . Comes in unscented so you don't smell like a chemical factory or a French wh*re :eek: And permethrin for the clothes.

51EmgPITVtL._SY679_.jpg

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
For the flying blood sucking devils, Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Expedition. Best I have found; if it can keep the greenheads away it can keep anything away . Comes in unscented so you don't smell like a chemical factory or a French wh*re :eek: And permethrin for the clothes.
Thanks 46er. Deet dissolves plastic eyeglasses and camera gear, so I am going to give the Bug Guard Plus a try. I remember when "skin-so-soft" was a beauty product used by my mother and her friends in the 70's and someone figured out it also repelled mosquitos. It worked then too.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That is the reason I first tried it, DEET destroys plastics. The SSS Expedition is a concoction, best buy out there; bug deterent, sun screen and a dose of Vitamin E all in one. Make sure you get the Expedition version, the others are not as effective.

In one of your other posts I recommended upland hunting pants; for the warmer months try the chaps over shorts. They'll work from the thigh down.

http://briarproofhunting.com/brush-buster-chaps/

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If your married I"d suggest also to get Momma to give you a once over as soon as you get home.A shower will not get rid of most ticks.They hang right on and then their clean ticks but still ticks.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
That is the reason I first tried it, DEET destroys plastics. The SSS Expedition is a concoction, best buy out there; bug deterent, sun screen and a dose of Vitamin E all in one. Make sure you get the Expedition version, the others are not as effective.

In one of your other posts I recommended upland hunting pants; for the warmer months try the chaps over shorts. They'll work from the thigh down.

http://briarproofhunting.com/brush-buster-chaps/
Now I know you're messing with me. Walking around the forest with LaCrosse Boots, shorts and chaps? That's a Wharton forest version of the Village People.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx