More Rain This Year????

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It seems like we have had quite a bit of rain and snow this year, and some area's are really wet. However, that really must not be true.

This was taken today near Warren Grove.

IMG_1514.jpg

BTW, that pile out there is all nails from the skids they have been burning.

IMG_1516.jpg

Here is the same location on August 7, 2010.

IMG_5235.JPG

08072010.JPG

One year later on August 13, 2011

08132011.JPG

Anyway, while in the area today we revisited the Lawrence Line #11 stone. The Warren Grove fire from years ago cracked it in pieces but there is still a large stone underground.

IMG_1513.jpg

Traveled through this area while exploring today. Vehicles have blazed a trail through the woods and have entered it. So far it still looks fairly nice.

IMG_1519.jpg

A fairly recent lock on the top of this test well that was there. I suspect the original was damaged by hoodlums.

IMG_1521a.jpg

Guy

Last edited:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
That's locally known as Chevy pond for the old Chevy car that used to be in it. I also remember the shopping cart, then all the deer carcasses after the Warren Grove fire.

Wow, that is some pile of nails!!

I wonder if the water course has changed in some way? That pond has been quite low for some years now. The woods are certainly "overflowing" and many vernal ponds are literally overflowing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was at the very end of Howardsville Road today and was just about to pull over as I went through a muddy orange mess of dirt. There was a hole that I did not see and the bottom of my car in the front slammed into the ground. We hit so hard Jessica was hurting from the seat belt. As we exited the car I noticed my hood was up.

IMG_0466a.jpg

Lifting the hood I noticed the latch area was bent pretty bad keeping the hood from closing. This photo does not show it well.

IMG_0468a.jpg

Decided to look for a few monuments before returning home to try and fix it. This is near the back of the reservoir at Howardsville.

IMG_1525a.jpg

This might make you dizzy. Pretty interesting round roof on it.

IMG_1539a.jpg

We drove home with the hood up but partially latched and after trying multiple ways to bend it back I resorted to hammering it. It is pretty good right now but there still appears to be some slight movement of the right and left edges of the hood. All of the plastic push retainers that hold the shroud on are loose or missing and the shroud is broken in one location under the car.

And the engine light is now on. I was thinking maybe because the hood was up while driving but as of yet it has not turned off. Maybe I hit a sensor which I have done in the past with both Focuses. It is running fine so I will wait a little while and check into that. And Jessica slammed her head into the car door as she was getting into the car right there where the photo was taken. As she pulled on the door the back of her head hit the pointy end of a branch sticking out and she quickly ducked right into the corner of the door as she was pulling on it. It looked painful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The hit might be related to the cooling system or the exhaust system. A loose hood would not throw a code. Do you have a code reader, if not Autozone or Advance will read if for free.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was planning on having the code read soon. I suspect it may be an oxygen sensor even though I did not see one near where the hit was. But it was hard enough to have caused issues elsewhere. It is the second hardest hit I have even had underneath any car I have had.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Guy I posted that pond a few years ago in the where is this post. I can't believe it is that low. However I keep an eye on the groundwater gauges and they haven't moved as much as one would think.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy I posted that pond a few years ago in the where is this post. I can't believe it is that low. However I keep an eye on the groundwater gauges and they haven't moved as much as one would think.

The area seems to have less water than for example Wharton. I had to turn around on quite a few roads yesterday while there.

If the hit was that hard, I'd get the front end looked at whether you're showing a code or not.

I did not hit anything that had to do with the front end as far as I can tell. I hit right in the center of the car at the very bottom at the lowest point below the bumper. Basically, just below the support that goes straight up to the hood latch.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My top and bottom front teeth in the front hurt today. I am pretty certain it is from hitting that bump.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I suspect it may be an oxygen sensor even though I did not see one near where the hit was. But it was hard enough to have caused issues elsewhere.

Might have just jarred a connection loose. A couple of diagrams showing sensor and other switch locations. May be year dependent. There are two O2 sensors. Good luck.

2009-11-29_190830_tp_0000.jpg

2010-08-05_232453_2.gif

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
P0443 EVAP Canister Purge Valve Circuit Malfunction. $100.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy you need a jacked up four wheel drive. Though I must admit you get more places in a low rider front wheel drive car then I"ve ever seen anybody else get to.I bet people are occasionally amazed when they see you in the barrens.They probably exclaim "How the hell did he get back here with that?":)

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I can't see how that little mishap is related to an EVAP vacuum switching valve going bad. Probably just a coincidence, unless the wiring or connector got disturbed. You can normally test them with a little handheld vacuum pump and see if they bleed down under 5-10 in/Hg.

To test the circuit electrically you would need a scan tool capable of commanding the purge valve to cycle, and then check for a pulsing 12v and ground at the connector. The car's computer commands the valve to open with a pulsing signal while you are cruising on the highway to burn off any gasoline vapors collected in the canister.

$100 sounds reasonable for that part.

Reactions: Teegate and bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, the engine light was not on when we hit the bump and it was 1 minute after we started driving home. I don't see how it was related either especially since this part is under the car in the back by the gas tank. I have read where mud will get in it and it was very muddy there. I will take it off and look at it as soon as the weather is good enough for me to spend some time under the car. I have to order the part as the local auto store does not stock it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the deal. All evidence in the videos I watched shows the Purge Valve under the car next to the gas tank. Looking at it two times I could not find it. So, I looked again under the hood and sure enough the damaged part is in the front of the engine right by the hood latch. I now believe that when I initially started hitting the hood latch in the woods with a piece of wood that I found along the road, I damaged it myself. I have ordered the part and should have it Tuesday after 3PM.

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

Reactions: 46er

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Yes, the purge valve is always under the hood, and allows the manifold vacuum to suck fuel vapor in from the emissions canister near the gas tank. There is another valve near the tank, sometimes two, as well as a vapor pressure sensor. You got lucky that the valve side was damaged, and not the connector that is part of the vehicle's wiring harness!

The car's computer is constantly monitoring the resistance through that valve (and every other electrical component) and when it detects an out-of-range condition it turns the engine light on. Glad you found the smoking gun on that one. When I started in this business I always believed it was possible to be 100% sure of a diagnosis, as long as you weren't lazy and you did all the pertinent component checks. Now, not so much. The way cars are being made now things are much less cut-and-dry. In many cases the only way to know for sure is to have a known good part to try, since more and more components are computerized and have their own integrated circuits- making them virtually untestable.

I looked on ebay and found aftermarket valves for your car for as little as $10. Just typed in "CRV purge valve"

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I always find your posts informative Zach.

There is no way to be sure the ebay purge valves are in proper working order so I just ordered it from the local auto store so I was sure to have it quickly and one that works. When I was younger and much less financially stable I would have gone the cheeper route.