More spotters

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
About kingsnake.com I purchased one turtle through there and had no problems at all. As far as buying a spotted blandings box or wood turtle I would be careful as to how they acquired them and their state of health and such. If I was to buy one I woud get a hatchling. In the state of new jersey it is illegal to sell any turtle. In the u.s. It is illegal to sell any turtle that's carapace length is less than 3 inches. But there is a loop hole to that law and that is that a turtle less than 3 inches is allowed to be sold for educational or research purposes only. It is hard to get a permit for a turtle I think. In delaware it is harder to get an exotic pet permit than a gun permit. Also there is a pet store in de that sells hatchling turtles from time to time.

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
red ear sliders

I know there are red ear sliders in jersey. I only seen one in a pond on hawk island in delanco a couple years ago. In pennsy in a lake in bristol next to rohm haas my cousin found a 13 inch long female red ear slider laying eggs. So they are a very adaptable turtle and its no wonder why they are found around the world. Also on kingsnake.com somebody was selling hatchling northern redbellies for like 35 dollars a piece. He said that the parents were caught in chatsworth in the 70s.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had red-eared slider's as a kid for pets. We would buy them at stores such as Woolworth's and kept them in a boat shaped plastic container we also bought there. They would get out at times and we would find them in my moms closet or under a stuffed dog I had way back when. We would feed them flies, and at times hamburger for snacks after my mom came home from shopping. Their shells would get really soft and eventually they died. They are buried in my moms side yard.

I have photo's of them in the boat shaped container. If I find it I will post it.

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
Yeah I barely remember turtles being sold in woolworths. To keep a turtle healthy and alive you need a tank with enough space for the turtle to swim around in; a good diet; a place for them to bask on; and a good light. Light to turtles is very important. Well I was given a turtle when I was in first grade and now I'm 22 so the turtle is now like 16 or 17. Turtles have personalities and will get to know you. The turtle I have will beg for food like a dog when I come home and I feed her out of my hand.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
boat.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I never knew what kind of turtles they were. I remember them being small and green with a soft shell.
Bobbleton enlightened me when he said the slider was not native to NJ but that are mainly a result of people releasing them.
I never knew anyone that had any that lived long enough to release.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yeah I don't think any of them lived long enough because with natural sunlight or artificial light they will die of soft shell. Hatchlings turtle need the sun to harden there shell if not will suffer lots of problems.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
MBD (metabolic bone disease) is a common problem in captive hatchling turtles. because of the shell and incredible growth rate, calcium needs are extremely high, but without real sunlight (real UV), reptiles can't properly metabolize calcium nomatter how much they ingest. as a complicating factor, most foods (marketed "turtle food" included") are high in phosphorus . . . exacerbating the issue of calcium deficiancy . . .

(a constant phosphorus/calcium ratio must be maintained in the blood---the organism's body will draw calcium from any source available to maintain it--such as bones, shell, etc . . . its a serious factor in osteoporosis in humans)

its funny how much better a hatchling slider will do out in the wild at the mercy of predators, elements, etc---than in the "capable" hands of a human while in captivity. there's a lesson there, somewhere . . .

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
About the spot my friend said he saw a bog turtle I went by the area yesterday and it is a marshy/swamp area where a stream begins and it looks like a good spot to find either bog or spotted turtles. Near the road its swampy with trees but behind the trees it is open with no trees so this spot could be a winner.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yeah no trees is the key, the area needs to be a sun soaked area. I'm sure the area near the road may have been habitat at one point but as the trees grow bogs will move on to more suitable habitat. Thats why it is key to let the state know if bogs are there so they can manage the inavsive plant species. Sounds like a good spot though.
Chris