More "Then And Now"

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Here is another "Then And Now" photo to add to my collection. Both photo's are taken from the Jersey Central Railroad Bridge over route 72 near Chatsworth looking west towards route 70. The photo on the left was developed in 9/79, and the photo on the right was taken today. Note the speed limit differences, and the telephone poles on the left are now obscured by the trees. Also, it is now paved.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/9_79__3_03.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Bob. I truly appreciate that and I will have others soon.

I also failed to mention that you can also notice that an electric wire is strung across the photo on the left, but it is no longer there on the right.

Another observation there is that 4x4 owners started to attack the hills that support the bridge, and the state has piled large dirt mounds there to stop their advance on them. It has worked. If anyone has never been there it is an interesting place to stop and visit, and as I do often, eat lunch there. It is a haven for lady bugs and usually in April there are thousands of them there. Yesterday we saw one.

Guy

J

JeffD

That must be the railroad bridge where Savoy Road just comes in, not far from Woodmansie. At least that's the only RR bridge over 72 I know of on that side of Chatsworth. The sidetrack switch isn't far from there, if this is indeed the place I think it is.

It's good something was done to prevent irresponsiible 4 X 4 ers from ruining the hills that support the bridge.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
JeffD said:
The sidetrack switch isn't far from there, if this is indeed the place I think it is.

That is correct.

I was at the switch yesterday.

Guy

J

JeffD

Guy, when you and Ben were in that general area last week, you reported that the unpaved roads were driveable. What was it like yesterday, with the rain. You may, of course, have been there before the rain.

I may visit Twin Lakes some day. I gather that if I make the left turn on Savoy Road, coming from the north, follow it until it crosses the tracks, I then depart from the paved road and follow the first sand road where there is a sign for the Pasadena wildlife management area.

The only problem I found visiting this area is parking. You're not allowed to park in that area off the paved road shortly after crossing the railroad tracks, and I'm not sure if it's OK to park off the road where the railroad crosses Savoy road. It seemed to draw some suspicion. I was only there an hour or two when I parked there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

You can easily get to Old Half Way in your car. I did it yesterday with my new 2001 Focus.

Cross the track in Bullock where Savoy road and Egg Harbor road meet, and take the dirt road that heads slightly to the left. Basically it is the large far left dirt road.

Look for the red target symbol on the first two maps.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4414520&e=547146&s=25

Then travel a short distance to your first turn off to the right.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4414159&e=547721&s=25

Continue on this road until right after the road goes around a curve to your right. You can see it to the left of the "V" in the below photo. You will be coming in from the top of the map. Just below the curve and to the left of the "V" there is an intersection and you go to your right. That takes you directly to Old Half Way. You will come to a sign that says No Vehicles Beyond this point. You can park there or continue on to the lake and park there which I do.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=12&x=685&y=5515&z=18&w=2

Remember there are two lakes so take a map with you to find the other one. Walk around the lake to your left and head WNW toward the other one shown in the above photo. Again, you should get a GPS to show you the way. Sorry I couldn't resist mentioning that.

To see the car in the water, go to the deep end of the first lake and it is there.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As you can see my friend and I spent many of lunch times at the JCRR bridge. Below is another photo taken by him at an earlier date than mine. This photo was developed in June of 1977. Compare this photo to my 1979 one and there is a noticeable difference in the height of the trees.

FromJCRRBridge6_77.jpg

Guy

J

JeffD

Thanks, Guy. Maybe some day I will get a GPS unit. I'm just leary of technical things. It took me years until I came kicking and dragging into the computer age.

Old Halfway doesn't look very hard to find, and the directions and map are clear and it looks like one can do a loop around the lakes. I can get around almost anywhere as long as I have a landmark.

The pictures were taken only two years apart, and the trees grew that much! Wow!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just don't drive around the lakes, make sure you walk. The roads are not that great there.

Guy

J

JeffD

I do too, Ben. I llike to walk. Just as long as I can park near the area where I being a scenic walk and I don't have to walk more than five miles. :)
It's good to have an end destination and have a loop. Otherwise, I tend to stretch the hike, having a memory lapse that I have to walk that distance back if I just turn around.

You say the roads are not that great around the lake, Guy. Are they soggy or just rough for vehicles?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

The sign says no motor vehicle beyond this point just before you get to the lake, so you can drive right to them. I just go a little farther past the sign to the edge of the lake because I am stubborn and feel that it is obvious by my photo's who is destroying the lake, and they are the one's who should not be riding in them. I just have a car to get there and if the authorities think I am a threat then then there is something wrong with the system. It is like pulling over a car going 26 when someone else is going 70. Don't make much sense.

Anyway, the roads around the lake have some pretty nice looking puddles, that you don't want to take you car through. Most of the mud is in the bottom of the lake, and you can walk around there fine if you watch your step.

I want to again mention that it is easy to get confused going to the second lake, so make sure you print out the map from terraserver.com and take it with you. It is about a half mile to the second lake from the first.

At this map you will be coming in at the top right heading to the large white area at the bottom. Just before that curve to the right of the white area is the sign telling you no motor vehicles.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=11&x=1370&y=11030&z=18&w=1

Guy

J

JeffD

I ventured off early this afternoon, following your directions, Guy, on a quest to find at least one of the lakes. I found A lake, but I don't think is was one of the Twin Lakes. I turned left on Savoy Road at the Route 72 RR bridge, crossed the railroad tracks and took the most left of I believe three sand roads that were more or less straight ahead after I crossed the tracks. I turned right at the first junction and when I came to the first four-way intersection, I turned right again. After a drive roughly as long as the first right I could see a lake through the trees, not far away. Before that, I passed the rye (goes well with liverworst, onion salt and mustard), that clearing you mentioned in your recent "front page" article, Ben, which you wrote is called that by hunters. It looked nice and neat. I saw other clearings, which is a good idea.

I didn't see any signs and after I followed the sand road, which was carpeted by needles and other debris, alongside the lake, and parked near a narrow strip of land that crossed the water. Except for a few puddles, which were not in the way, I found the ground quite dry.

I crossed the lake and turned left. The needle carpeted trail ended after about 1/4 mile, and there was a turn around. I went back and passed the bridge, following the trail that skirted the water. The trail went away from the water, and soon the trail, more like a sand road, was bare, somewhat think sand, but not quite sugar sand (maybe a lump or two). Soon I the railroad tracks were in front of me, and I turned left, skirting the tracks to my right. After 1/2 mile or so, I came to the railroad siding switch. I backtracked and crossed back over the stip of land to the other side back to the car.After I crossed over the lake, I turned left, and followed a needle carpeted trail, bearing to the left a junctions. I came to the railroad tracks again, beared left, and followed the road, which opened up a little, skirting the tracks to my right again. Between the tracks and the sand road I followed was a depression, filled with a strip-grove of cedars To my left, with just low growth between, was the lake. At one point I crossed a small wooden bridge. I heard what I believed were animals sounds coming from the lake area. One was a peep, either a bird or maybe spring peeper? I also heard a chorus of sounds that had rhythm similar to crickets but with a different tone, a little like the sound when you're driving with a wheel that's not on quite right or have a bad bearing. It went something like "Chit--chit-chit-chit Chit-chit-chit-chit I saw a fallen tree that looked like it was pulled to the side of the road, on the edge, almost parallel to it. A cable or rope was attahched between it and a think stalk of a bush or tree. I thought is funny if anyone would expect that little stick to hold the big long in place, as if it were a leash.

I followed the small sand road and came upon the junction where earlier I had turned left from the other direction to find the switch. I turned left and followed the trail to the land bridge over the lake. At one point I turned right, and went away from the lake and then swung back. The trail to my left that was closer to the creek evidently had dead ended somewhere between where I turned right and where the trail I was on swung back towards the lake. I crossed over the creek, got in my car, and drove back to Savoy Road. This time I sprayed myself and Dolly with OFF, which contains DEET. I didn't mention on my post about my hike on the Botona trail from Apple Pie Hill to just above the Carranza Memorial that I picked up a chigger in an unmentionable area of my body. The hikers I had met that day mentioned that the chiggers are now out. I didn't pick up anything today. Maybe I didn't even need bug spray, as it was cool and a little windy.

Instead of turning left to return to Route 72, I turned right on Savoy, now, I believe, Padadena road, to see if it connected to route 539. It did, but it changed names at least once. I think it was Malone or something. There was a sign for some kind of pancake breakfast house, which I had passed and had seen signs for earlier. I forget the name of the breakfast house. I don't believe it was Frank Zappa's SAINT ALFONSO'S BREAKFAST HOUSE, where, after "trudging through the tundra, up north where the doggies go and make the yellow snow..., where the pancakes are all light and fluffy brown, there's the finest in the town."

I turned left on Route 539, heading north. Soon I came to the junction where route 530 splits off to go to Whiting, and continued on 539 past Fort Dix and past the Paintball place. This road is much more scenic and less congeswted than Route 206 between Trenton and Route 70, and I also passed a gas station where gas was almost as cheap as that on route 206 just outside of Trenton.

On Pasadena road, the only traffic I remember encountering was a school bus that had stopped well-ahead of me, coming the other way. Shortly before the bus, on my side of the road, was a Manchester Township police car, parked on the side of the road. This seemed like a nice, rural area. I just hope the police car was a sample of the seriousness of law enforcement, to keep the public safe and the woods vandal free.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
JeffD said:
and when I came to the first four-way intersection, I turned right again.
That was your mistake. You have to continue straight past that intersection for a while and when the road curves to the right as the map shows, you take the next "Y" to the right.

Many years ago (about 27) during the CB Radio days, I came upon a Manchester Township officer along the side of the highway reading a newspaper in his car. During those days the police stations monitored channel 19 and 9, and when I informed the traveling public that there was a "Local Yokel" along the side of the road reading the paper, he did not take to kindly to it especially since his boss probably now knew about it. I was quickly informed by other drivers he was on his way after me, and I was promptly stopped. After doing the routine he said a few obscene things to me and informed me that he was not a "Local Yokel" because Manchester Township had 32 square miles of property to patrol. Now I was living in Marlton at the time, and they also have the same size town, and I considered them "Local Yokels" also. Of course I did not tell him that. Anyway, he let me go telling me to keep the lipstick...well you know the rest.

Guy

J

JeffD

Thanks, Guy. I didn't think I was at Old Halfway/Twin Lakes. I didn't mind, though. Sometimes one finds something else along the journey before reaching a destination, like Dorothy in THE WIZARD OF OZ.

Maybe next trip I'll find Oz. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

Your welcome Ben, I am thrilled that others like them. I sent each one to my traveling partner from years ago, so that we can reminisce on old times. I hope to have more in the next few weeks, and if I can find a photo I misplaced I may have one sooner. Each weekend before I head out, I look through old photo's of the area I am going to be in, and that is how I decide on what photo and where to stand to take a "Now" shot if an idea hits me.

I just need to improve my © text. I am not happy with anything I have tried.

Guy