Morning Glory

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We first spent some time looking for turtles in an area near Batsto. From there we traveled in a round about route to Carranza Road and along the way saw two box turtles. We stopped in at a remote location where Jessica and I discovered Morning Glory some years back and we reported it. In more recent years we learned it was discovered by someone else and their posse, and the location is now being studied and watched by them. Last year they cut the tight path leading in, apparently to make it easier to get to. Not a good idea in my mind. In any event, for some reason after this past season was over they have now decided to cut about 20 trees down blocking the path from being accessed by motorcycles. If they hadn't cut the path they just might not have to worry about that. In the years I have been going there I saw no evidence motorcycles were doing any damage or even accessing the area.

Anyway, it is much harder to even walk there now with trees lining the path. I guess they think they are saving the world. They should have just left the place alone. It was doing just fine without them.

IMG_4702a.jpg

IMG_4690a.jpg

A hunter this past year decided to set up a tent near his stand. Unfortunately, he made the decision that leaving the tent there was a good idea.

IMG_4692a.jpg

IMG_4696a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We checked out quite a few populations this weekend. Most are looking good. Still early though.

A few weekends ago I was standing along a road looking to see if they were growing yet and a car passed by me and stopped. The man backed up and told me he reported the population 10 years ago. So he knew they were there. He asked my name and I asked his, and after coming home I made an inquiry and he was a long time ago Pinelands Commissioner.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Why is it that those that are so protective of the pines have no issue to chainsaw the trees they claim to be protecting?
From your picture, the trail appears quite wide and well-groomed, far more than just a walking trail. Is it possible they used quads because they didn't want to walk?

You need to consider carrying a battery-powered chainsaw to clear the roads. Not cheap and you should have 2 batteries, models of 40 volts and higher are quite impressive. Probably the cheapest is the Ryobi at Home Depot.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is only groomed there. Most of the trail is closed in. What you are seeing is the top of a dike.