Mount Relief

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding Mount Relief. I came across this article regarding the name change in 1892. However, I have a map from 1844 that has Mount Misery noted as Mount Relief. What is the earliest record of Mount Relief?

Beverly man delivers post-office history

By CHRISTINA HERNANDEZ
Burlington County Times

BEVERLY - In 1892, Mount Misery resident Charles Pittman decided his community should have a post office.

The village in Pemberton Township claimed only 50 residents.

Historians haven't agreed, but some believe Mount Misery derived its name from the French word for "mercy." Because postal officials in Washington, D.C., had jurisdiction over the names of U.S. post offices, Pittman thought he had a better chance for opening a local office if he convinced officials to give the facility the less-depressing name "Mount Relief."

Mount Misery got its relief, but only for a short time. A post office opened there, but the Postal Service closed it seven months after its inception, passing its responsibilities on to a post office in New Lisbon.

This and other Burlington County post office histories were unearthed by 61-year-old John Edge during 40 years of research.

"I'm a collector," said the Beverly resident, who has accumulated at least 1,000 historic New Jersey letters, 300 postmarked in Burlington County. He's looking for more.

The text lists the postmasters for each office with a brief history of each location, which, Edge said, was the most difficult and rewarding part of the project.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have an 1832 map that calls it Mt Misery.

Guy