Mountain laurel makes comeback

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There's a lot of wild laurel growing my my land here in Atlantic County, and it looks great now with its blossoms. But it was slow to bloom this year because of the dry weather. At my old place in Medford there seemed to be less wild laurel and the bushes weren't as full and healthy looking. This may be the result of the excessive deer population there which seems to eat everything in reach however.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was hoping to get out there this weekend and check it out, but I worked on my car all weekend. Sometimes, but rarely, the pines have to take a back seat. :(

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Now I'm not good enough to know one brand of Laurel from another but for years I have enjoyed the explosion of Laurel blooms in the woods behind me and I keep the feeling of seeing it through the woods behind as far as you can see to me own self sometimes. Other times I literally have dragged people out there to see it. I would thank Boyd for crystalizing for me the reason it has been slow on the coming. Makes sense now why many the walkabout of late has left me a little disappointed. On the whole it is one of my awaited pleasures of the wood.

On another small note that I wouldn't know where it goes in the forums ( so I'll plunk it here ) Jason, my youngest and my woods buddy who has embarked on many the walkaout said, out of no where a prayer last night.
God, thank you for the lake and the flowers and the birds and the sticks and the big sticks ( that's trees ). What wonder in the minds of children.

G.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
LARGO said:
God, thank you for the lake and the flowers and the birds and the sticks and the big sticks ( that's trees ). What wonder in the minds of children. G.

EXACTLY! He is mature beyond his years. I say the same prayer but I say "bushes and trees". Your boy is a good little man.

I remember when Nick was about 5 or 6 years old. He had heard something out the window at night. I asked him what would he do if it was the Jersey Devil? He said...I'd throw him in the woods and make him roll around and get a tick!".