Mullica River Wilderness Trail Question

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Howdy folks,

We were planning a hike on this trail, but I was just wondering if anyone could let me know how the canopy is on the trail. Does it provide decent cover? Also, how are the biting flies in these parts? Thanks for any help that you can give.

Chilehead

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Karl,

Batsto to Atsion is the one, the yellow-blazed trail through Wharton S.F. We were going to hike from Batsto to the campground and back. We figured it was about a 6 mile hike that way.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
it is about 6-7. the coverage is off and on, but the white sand reflects the heat. atleast you will be near water the whole trip. i hate bugs. i would be more worried about ticks and chiggers. have something with a bug net at night. have fun. its a nice leisurely walk.
im doing the Batona Trail 6/15-16, breaking my rule of never hiking in hot -n-buggy weather :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The deer flies are now out as evidenced by the They're Here thread posted on this forum a few days ago,can't seem to find it now.Tick yeas are in force as always whenever the temp is over 50 degrees.Chiggers it is a bit early for though i have heard of folks getting them this early I have never gotten them before august.As long as your in an oak forest the fuller canopy keeps the temps down a bit but in pine woods it is much hotter because of partial canopy and anywhere the ground is bare radiates much more heat so yes it will be hot.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I need to research chiggers more.I have never gotten them in spring but have had folks tell me they are here.I wonder if folks are getting sand fleas and think they are chiggers.Has anyone actually seen the chiggers themselves crawling on them this time of year or just had irritating bites on their ankles and thought it was chigger bites?Perhpas chiggers have several hatch out times a year but I've only encountered them in late august thru early october.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That has also been my experience, but the weather this year is far from normal. How common are sand fleas in the pines? I have wondered about that myself, and recently I was reading an old book that said they were a problem in the pines. I don't recall any discussions about them here.

Many years ago I lived in Mendocino, CA for awhile and the sand fleas were just terrible there.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
fleas have never bothered me.I can wrestle dogs that swarm in fleas and never get bit.My grandson on the other hand suffers terribly from them,his yard has them and so does his dog.My wife claims they like blood type A (don't know where she got this info) and mine and hers are O pos for me and O neg for her.fleas do not bother us.My grandsons is A.As far as how bad are they in the pines I don't know because they don't affect me,on the other hand chiggers love me and I can't see if they are out in the spring why I have never gotten them then???Maybe just lucky?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
When I had indoor/outdoor cats in upstate NY, fleas were a huge problem. Once they get into your house it can be really hard to get rid of them. Yet another reason why I enjoy being pet-free these days. :)