MUSHROOMS IN THE PINES

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
i know you have to be an expert to pick mushrooms or you can wake up dead the next day but while i was out looking at things this weekend i pondered the question with all the control fires does this bring on mushrooms. i see out west people hunt for morell mushrooms. do we have them in the pines or any edible varieties?

Theressa

Aug 10, 2007
Mushrooms biger then stumps it is on.

:eng101: In my back yard. Hope the picture uploaded.

Attachments

• DSC_0239.jpg
    DSC_0239.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 679

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i know you have to be an expert to pick mushrooms or you can wake up dead the next day but while i was out looking at things this weekend i pondered the question with all the control fires does this bring on mushrooms. i see out west people hunt for morell mushrooms. do we have them in the pines or any edible varieties?

I have never read anything about a connection between fire and shrooms.That would be interesting to research.The reason i believe we have so many shrooms right now is one it is the season for most shrooms from about now till winter brings and end to it.namely august till november is prime season for most shrooms and all the rain we have been having helps.After very rain you will se an explosion of shrooms.As to morels I do not see them reguarly at all.The two main varieties I know of in the pines that are edible are brick tops(mostly oak woods) and honey shrooms which grow on rotten oak and pine stumps and have been known to produce 50 lb clumps.I have a friend who picks both and pickles em and their great,especially the honey shrooms.I'm no shroom expert but I do know most of the white shrooms that are so common around here are of the amanita genus and will kill you quite efficiently so please get a good guide and learn a few kinds well and stay away from the rest when it comes to eating them.We also have a lot of boletes coming up now and I have never tried these but i understand their good if you catch them before they get too large and tough.also the same for sulphur shelf which supposedly tastes like chicken:) and can be quite large.it's the yellow shelf fungus that grows on oaks commonly.it eventually gets as hard as a board.
Al

leahey

Aug 31, 2009
Be interested to know if the ash isn't absorbing/holding moisture and allowing the spores to get established.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I know virtually nothing about mushrooms, and I don't usually pay them much mind, as I only think of them as some sort of fungus. But this one actually caught my eye while I was hiking today. It may be the coolest 'shroom I ever saw.
It was the only one of it's kind around, in fact it was the only mushroom in sight. After moderate research, the only name I came up with was Amanita Muscaria. Also called Fly Agaric.
If any one can confirm (or disprove) this, I would really like to learn. Thanx
John-

Attachments

• Fly Agarcic.JPG
    Fly Agarcic.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 818

MuddinMommy

Sep 24, 2009
Ortley Beach, NJ
out by bamber lake last night me and my husband were driving and something big caught out eye on the side of the road...It has a huge mushroom probably about 1 foot high....never seen one that big....lol...but i'm far from an expert on any of these things...just thought it was interesting...

:pigfly: