Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
030.JPG Listera australis- Southern twayblade

Reactions: Gibby and glowordz

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice Tom! Now you have to find one before this date next year.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I'm jealous and what a great find, Oji. Yesterday, I was searching all over for Swamp Pink, hoping the warm weather caused an early bloom. I came home dirty and cut up with nothing on my camera, but I enjoyed the hunt.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tom, that reminds me. I found a crane-fly orchid yesterday in Manahawkin. As you know (since you clued me into it), I could only identify it by the leaf, but it is a sure-thing due to the bicolor going on.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Guy, I hope I don't! Gibby, I plan on looking for some Swamp Pink later this week. Bob, Did that area have different soil? The area it grows around here was a farm at one time. The Phila. Botanical club has a field trip in this area coming up.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Oji, I took a moment on my way home today from work to see if I could find an example of the orchid you photographed. I found a small group of them. I was astonished! Twayblades are tiny! What they lack in size they make up in beauty. A deep marron flower complimented by green blushing leaf. Incredible! :) I'm heading back tomorrow evening with a tripod and remote to get a few sharp macro photographs. ( Sundews are emerging too)

Reactions: oji

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Oji, I took a moment on my way home today from work to see if I could find an example of the orchid you photographed. I found a small group of them. I was astonished! Twayblades are tiny! What they lack in size they make up in beauty. A deep marron flower complimented by green blushing leaf. Incredible! :) I'm heading back tomorrow evening with a tripod and remote to get a few sharp macro photographs. ( Sundews are emerging too)
Nice! It's funny, you'll be standing in an area wondering if any are there and once you spot one your eye gets trained on what to look for and you notice they are all around you.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Nice! It's funny, you'll be standing in an area wondering if any are there and once you spot one your eye gets trained on what to look for and you notice they are all around you.

Exactly! I was looking through the ground litter of needles, moss and branches, when I noticed something different. As soon as I saw the orchid, I knew what it was. The appearance stands out against the normal ground textures. Soon as I found the one, I noticed many more in the area. Quite unique to see.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I agree. When I canoe, I often beach, walk about 10 yards into the woods and just stand and look. It's amazing what you can see while you're still.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not look for Orchids today but found leatherleaf in bloom. Click to make them larger.

leather1.jpg

leather.jpg

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I have a question about a detail I noticed today while visiting a spot I first saw Southern Twayblade. Some orchids have a bicolor leaf, which are red on the bottom and green on the top. The flowers of the same plant are solid red. The other orchid has a solid green leaf and this plant has a flower with a "blond" top. With that being said, my question is - Am I observing two different species of orchids that are similar in appearance or is it just a color trait of Twayblade? Thanks in advance.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think I saw some of them yesterday.I was thinking some type of vilet but I doubt on second thought a violet would grow along the edge of a dirt road going through a cedar swamp.I'm glad I didn't eat it which I sometimes do to violets,roses and day lilly flowers.