My ride through Batsto

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Yesterday being as beautiful as it was, I decided to go riding in my Tracker. I went through Batsto onto Washington. On this route there is an old celler hole in an isolated spot on the left. This spot is beautiful and I always eyeball it when I ride by. Today to my surprise was a huge tom turkey standing on the mound above the celler hole. He was a site to behold with the sun glaring off his gobbler! He had 3-4 good size hens with him as well. Unlike other turkeys I have spotted, these ones were quite shy, taking off running when I stopped to look at them. I also saw several deer running through that area with white tails held high, while trotting through the woods. I spent the entire day in the woods with one visit with a ranger who stopped me to let me know I had a break light out.
Oh well......

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
This is the perfect time for a ramble through those woods.
Did you have any problems with ticks?
Is there anything else to see at Washington?

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I didn't get out on foot. But, I know for a fact that ticks are out now. I didn't actually turn into Washington, but went on toward Friendship. There is a big guard rail put up in front of the packing house celler hole at Friendship. It has been there awhile and I am glad. Too much damage has been done there from quads and cycles. They are tearing up the ground oppisite the celler hole to the point it is becomning unreconizable. (at least to me who remembers what it used to look like) I am surprised the guard rail has stayed up this long considering.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That cellar hole area most likely was the property of Samuel Jervis. It was purchased by the state on what looks like 7/2/67 from the estate of A.E.Koster.

The ticks are out so be prepared.

Guy

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Bob, I will explain this. No one take offense please. I forget the present name of the town, but when I was born in 1959 the town was called Jew Town, for obvious reason. Leaving Medford, it is on the road Johnson's Farm is on. Hartford Road is it? It is just before Rt 38 junction. I new school was recently built there as well as alot of houses. Going towards 38 on the left, there are a few rows of small cottage-like houses. In 1959 Mrs. Diamond rented these out. This is where I was born and lived the first 3 years of my life, before moving to Friendship. I lived at Friendship for 3 1/2 years. A lone bus from Green Bank school would come and pick me up. I think it mentions in John Peirce's book about the lone child the bus would pick up in it's run to Friendship. That child was me.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
suresue592003 said:
Going towards 38 on the left, there are a few rows of small cottage-like houses. In 1959 Mrs. Diamond rented these out. This is where I was born and lived the first 3 years of my life, before moving to Friendship.

I went to school at Lenape in the early 70's and that road was quite interesting and semi remote back then. But it has really changed since then and not for the better.

Guy