Name that weasel!!

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Found this little guy munching on a freshly killed fieldmouse today . . . it was amazing. I knew weasels were fast, but this thing was unreal--and smart, too. He was curious enough to keep checking me out, but had the whole area mapped in his head . . . he dashed down one hole and popped out another in a fraction of a second. He wanted his mouse (which he eventually got).

Problem is . . . i can't identify him. I believe its a long-tailed weasel. Any suggestions?

normal_IMG_3069sm.jpg

-Bob

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Well, he is kind of cute. For a weasel that is. Anyway, tough call. The short tailed weasel tends to gravitate toward grassy open areas or woodlands. The long tailed weasel tends toward wetlands, bodies of water and dense woods. What kind of habitat was it?

Jeff

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
woodjin said:
Well, he is kind of cute. For a weasel that is. Anyway, tough call. The short tailed weasel tends to gravitate toward grassy open areas or woodlands. The long tailed weasel tends toward wetlands, bodies of water and dense woods. What kind of habitat was it?

Jeff

Wet, watery, and densely woody. If what you say is true, my guess is right. And yeah--he was adorable. Like a ferret, but he didn't poop on my rug.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
woodjin said:

Jeff

Now realize, this may simply be indicative of a blind spot, but it was (I thought) an easy call : it's a long-tailed weasle (Mustela frenata). I stated that, albeit, perhaps, too confidently, for two reasons:

1. I had been of the long-held opinion (quite possibly in error) that but one weasle was indigenous to the PBs (the above-mentioned long-tailed weasle), and

2. I'd never even heard of a "short-tailed weasle", so never thought of it. What's its scientific name? Does it designate a species with another name?

Also, In my limited experience with long-tailed weasles, I've seen them in quite a variety of habitats, from dry uplands - forested to open grasslands) as well as lowlands of various degrees of wetness.

Last October I stopped by the roadside near my house to watch a couple of immature red-tails - probably siblings sticking together early in migration - as they flew from one big round hay bale to another in an immense hay field that stretched to the horizon. They were undoubtedly on the lookout for prey revealed in the recently mowed field. All of a sudden, one of them made a bee-line for the bale that was closest - about 30 feet - to my car. A brief perch, and then she hopped down to the ground and began a style of hopping about with her wings held slightly extended at her sides that put me in mind of the performers in "River Dance". Very shortly it became apparent that her partner in the impromptue dance was a frantic long-tailed weasle also leaping about, but his motive was self-preservation, not not terpsichorean. The weasle danced reactively to the hawk's rhythm and when she decided to break rhythm, he was toast.
A fascinating moment that I felt priviledged to have had the opportunity to observe - just as you must feel priviledged to have had the opportunity to take that astounding hand-held shot of a wild weasle! Way to go!

Jeff, fill me in on the short-tailed weasle, would you? And by the bye, Jeff, as I write this, I'm listening to a CD that has quickly become one that is in the CD case that is carried from house to truck and back again - sort of like the President's "football". It's entitled ... let me see ... oh yes: "Leeds Devil Blues" Totally terrific! Your musicality is absolutely astounding.

And Bob, this picture of the weasle made my day!
Dave

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
uuglypher said:
Now realize, this may simply be indicative of a blind spot, but it was (I thought) an easy call : it's a long-tailed weasle (Mustela frenata). I stated that, albeit, perhaps, too confidently, for two reasons:

1. I had been of the long-held opinion (quite possibly in error) that but one weasle was indigenous to the PBs (the above-mentioned long-tailed weasle), and

2. I'd never even heard of a "short-tailed weasle", so never thought of it. What's its scientific name? Does it designate a species with another name?

Also, In my limited experience with long-tailed weasles, I've seen them in quite a variety of habitats, from dry uplands - forested to open grasslands) as well as lowlands of various degrees of wetness.

Last October I stopped by the roadside near my house to watch a couple of immature red-tails - probably siblings sticking together early in migration - as they flew from one big round hay bale to another in an immense hay field that stretched to the horizon. They were undoubtedly on the lookout for prey revealed in the recently mowed field. All of a sudden, one of them made a bee-line for the bale that was closest - about 30 feet - to my car. A brief perch, and then she hopped down to the ground and began a style of hopping about with her wings held slightly extended at her sides that put me in mind of the performers in "River Dance". Very shortly it became apparent that her partner in the impromptue dance was a frantic long-tailed weasle also leaping about, but his motive was self-preservation, not not terpsichorean. The weasle danced reactively to the hawk's rhythm and when she decided to break rhythm, he was toast.
A fascinating moment that I felt priviledged to have had the opportunity to observe - just as you must feel priviledged to have had the opportunity to take that astounding hand-held shot of a wild weasle! Way to go!

Jeff, fill me in on the short-tailed weasle, would you? And by the bye, Jeff, as I write this, I'm listening to a CD that has quickly become one that is in the CD case that is carried from house to truck and back again - sort of like the President's "football". It's entitled ... let me see ... oh yes: "Leeds Devil Blues" Totally terrific! Your musicality is absolutely astounding.

And Bob, this picture of the weasle made my day!
Dave

Thanks for the compliment Dave! I am very happy you are enjoying the music. In return for your kind words I will give you what I got on the short tailed weasel:

My knowlege of the short tailed weasel stems from this great pocket sized animal track book I have titled "Animal Tracks of New Jersey". It is a very handy and practical book to have around. Both weasel types are described in the book. Now the book does not differenciate between north and south jersey, so how common one might be to a particular region of the state over the other, I do not know. The short tailed weasel (mustela erminea) also known as a ermine or stoat. It is smaller than the long tailed weasel, however it's tracks are nearly the same. It prefers meadows, will inhabit woodlands, but does not like wetlands and coniferous forests. The long tailed weasel is described as prefering to be near bodies of water but also in open woods, brushy areas and grasslands. So this is in line with your observations of the animal. Basically, if Bob saw this weasel in a grassy area, if could have been either, but considering it was wet, it seems to lean toward the long tail weasel strongly, according to the book.

Now I just cross-referenced with Howard Boyds Field Guide to the Pine Barrens, which, while an absolutley great book, doesn't get to comprehensive with fauna. There is reference to the long tailed but not the short tailed.

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I thought long tail, thinking it was the only weasel in s. jersey, but I'm not familar with all the mammals of s. jersey. As far is its curiousity and playfulness, they almost at like a domesticated pet. I have seen mink and they are very trustworthy, but always stay just far away to be safe. While I was casting my reel while trout fishing in pa one would run down to the edge of the stream and then the second I cast it would run back about 10 feet. It did this for a good half hour before I became disinterested. I guess that means that my attention span is worse than a weasel.
Chris

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
woodjin said:
Thanks for the compliment Dave! I am very happy you are enjoying the music. In return for your kind words I will give you what I got on the short tailed weasel:

My knowlege of the short tailed weasel stems from this great pocket sized animal track book I have titled "Animal Tracks of New Jersey". It is a very handy and practical book to have around. Both weasel types are described in the book. Now the book does not differenciate between north and south jersey, so how common one might be to a particular region of the state over the other, I do not know. The short tailed weasel (mustela erminea) also known as a ermine or stoat. It is smaller than the long tailed weasel, however it's tracks are nearly the same. It prefers meadows, will inhabit woodlands, but does not like wetlands and coniferous forests. The long tailed weasel is described as prefering to be near bodies of water but also in open woods, brushy areas and grasslands. So this is in line with your observations of the animal. Basically, if Bob saw this weasel in a grassy area, if could have been either, but considering it was wet, it seems to lean toward the long tail weasel strongly, according to the book.

Now I just cross-referenced with Howard Boyds Field Guide to the Pine Barrens, which, while an absolutley great book, doesn't get to comprehensive with fauna. There is reference to the long tailed but not the short tailed.

Jeff

I just realized, in my seventh decade, that I've been mis-spelling "weasel" as "weasle" lo these last 60-odd years. I thought you guys were off base with "weasel",but since you were so damned consistent in your putative error, I thought I'd up-look it just to reinforce my confidence in pompously correcting your spelling. I'll be damned! WEAS..E..L ! To paraphrase the Amish in Lancaster County: "Ve get too soon oldt, but (never) too late schmardt!"

Thanks for the info on the "short-tailed weasel" - same thing as an ermine, eh? Sure didn't know they lived in NJ. Well, after a long professional career in the biological sciences I gotta confirm the truth of the statement that when there's a slow year in some subset of biology, that particular bored subset of biologists content themselves with re-naming things! At least, in this case, they simply coined another common (vulgate) name and didn't screw around with its scientific designation! T.G.F.S.F.!

Best t'y'all,
Dave

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Funny you mention that, Dave -- I wasn't sure either so I made it a point to look the word up before posting. Stupid english language . . . good thing . . . nobody . . . ever . . . corrects me . . . on punctuation:.!?^^><{

Incidentally, I published the video if anyone cares to view it. I dumbed down the res to make it "web-friendly", and its a wma (for any that would find that an issue), but its still pretty neat to see.

Also, if you take offense to potty-mouthing . . . sorry.

http://tromping.com/video/greatswamp/weasel.wmv

-Bob

(oh yeah--ten points to whoever names the amphibian calling in the background)

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Incidentally, I published the video if anyone cares to view it. I dumbed down the res to make it "web-friendly", and its a wma (for any that would find that an issue), but its still pretty neat to see.

http://tromping.com/video/greatswamp/weasel.wmv

-Bob

VERY COOL LITTLE CLIP !
He seemed a little taken with you as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
bobpbx said:
That is a Wood Frog in the background, right Bob? Rana Sylvatica.

TEN POINTS TO BOB! He correctly named the wood frog (Rana sylvatica)--famous for its ability to freeze solid and reanimate upon thawing.

(that was good, right Bob?)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bobbleton said:
TEN POINTS TO BOB! He correctly named the wood frog (Rana sylvatica)--famous for its ability to freeze solid and reanimate upon thawing.

(that was good, right Bob?)

Absolutely. There is nothing like 10 points!

And 50 points to you for the weasel movie!

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
bobpbx said:
Absolutely. There is nothing like 10 points!

And 50 points to you for the weasel movie!

Countin' points, eh?
When you get my age you realize it's probably most efficient to remember
only those days when you wind up with a positive tally...

like I'll never forget August 8th in '04.... and February 14th,'87,... and that Friday in May of '81...

Yeah.... Gotta remember... those negative-tally-days just make y' a better person who keeps tryin' harder ! Or maybe, after 4 wives, I gotta smarten-up and start keepin' MY OWN TALLY !!

Dave

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
uuglypher said:
Countin' points, eh?
When you get my age you realize it's probably most efficient to remember
only those days when you wind up with a positive tally...

like I'll never forget August 8th in '04.... and February 14th,'87,... and that Friday in May of '81...

Yeah.... Gotta remember... those negative-tally-days just make y' a better person who keeps tryin' harder ! Or maybe, after 4 wives, I gotta smarten-up and start keepin' MY OWN TALLY !!

Dave

Those are marriage dates, or divorce dates?