National Geographic closing down Topo.com

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Possibly of interest to Magellan Triton users (Al?)...

http://gpstracklog.com/2012/01/topo-com-goes-away-takes-superquads-with-it.html#more-14472

Topo.com goes away, takes SuperQuads with it

January 30, 2012 by Rich Owings

Late last week I received an email from National Geographic Maps, informing me that their Topo.com website would be discontinued in 30 days, as they transtion to a new partnership with AllTrails.com. The National Geographic Topo
ir
desktop software will continue to work, although it is unclear if new updates will be forthcoming or not. This appears to primarily affect Magellan Triton users who have purchased Topo SuperQuads. If that’s you, you should read the info below and save those files to your hard drive over the next few weeks.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
thanks Boyd.I have never downloaded super quads but do have an assortment of state cd's.If these are no longer for sale that is ashame because They are quite handy and allow you to put a whole state on the triton at a time or more.I can now download all the free topos i want and then calibrate them with the triton rmp for smaller areas.would take a large amount of time to do a whole state but for smaller areas I want to go to it will work for me.I have the buffalo river country loaded in now and staritng next month am just waiting for a rainstorm to get the river up to head out for arkansas.perhaps the day of TOPO is over but till garmin comes out with a way to load real usgs topos and calibrate them from the free ones on the internet I'll be sticking with the triton.It's ashame because I feel like the triton is the MAC of gps's everything is made for garmin but triton allows you to make your own maps and aeirlas for free is you feel like taking the time.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Al, you can make your own maps for Garmin just the same, and there are a number of programs to help that are better than TritonRMP (unless it's improved since I tried). The results are also seamless for zooming in and out, unlike the triton that only shows the map at a few zoom levels. Downside on Garmin is that the size of this kind of user-made map is limited to 100 tiles at 1024x1024 on all models but the Montana, which allows 500 tiles.

But for USGS quads on Garmin, I don't think that's the way to go anymore. Garmin introduced a download service for the USGS 24k quads that covers all the US and Canada at $30 for unlimited downloads ($27 with discount). There is no limit to the size of this kind of map except the size of the memory card you use. Basecamp is used to download and send the maps to your GPS.

Then, if you want aerial imagery, the NJ 2007 maps are also available for BirdsEye download as a separate $30 subscription.